[spectre] Treebour. Do we pay trees fairly for the immaterial labour they perform for us?

marc.garrett marc.garrett at protonmail.com
Tue Aug 7 12:53:16 CEST 2018

Sorry for any cross posting...

Treebour. Do we pay trees fairly for the immaterial labour they perform for us?

Regine Debatty on WMMNA interviews Marija Bozinovska Jones - https://bit.ly/2ngZGil

Very few of us think of trees in terms of how hardworking they are. And yet, they work 24/7 and most of their labour is to our benefit. Trees (and any plant for that matter) perform all kinds of services for us. They shelter us against the elements, they help filter water and cool the air, soak up solar radiation, prevent soil erosion, provide living space for wildlife, can be turned into wood, some of them bear fruit and beautiful flowers, etc. They also perform all sorts of ‘cultural services’ for us: they help us unwind, inspire art, mental well-being and spiritual experiences. All of us, human and non-human alike, benefit from their presence around us.

Artist Marija Bozinovska Jones pays homage to ‘treebour’ in her contribution to 'Playbour – Work, Pleasure, Survival', an exhibition at Furtherfield in London that explores an issue that deserves more attention: the blurring between work, well-being and play in an age of increasingly data-driven technologies.