[spectre] CFP: Instituting Knowledges [Cultural Studies Review PL]

Arkadiusz Półtorak arkadiusz.poltorak at gmail.com
Sat Feb 24 14:50:02 CET 2018

CFP Instituting Knowledges. On the Authority of Sciences
CULTURAL STUDIES REVIEW (Przegląd Kulturoznawczy)
<http://www.ejournals.eu/Przeglad-Kulturoznawczy/>
Editor-in-Chief: Eugeniusz Wilk
Secretary: Anna Nacher

Dear Spectrites,

we invite doctoral students, academics, makers and activists interested in
theory of science, sociology of institutions and institution-building to
send in their contributions to the issue of the Polish academic journal
“Przegląd kulturoznawczy” (Cultural Studies Review). The publication will
address the loss of scientific institutions’ authority and possible
strategies of its regaining. Diagnosis of the former theme seems urgent not
only in the view of ongoing debates around corporatization of universities,
reforms of scientific funding systems and related legislation (be it in
Poland or elsewhere) but also – if not first and foremost – in the face of
the apparent success of the populist political discourse questioning
scientifically confirmed facts which often gets an ample media coverage.
Therefore, we ask the contributors to comment on institutionalized
practices that bind scientists together, on the rules of the discourse that
allows them to recognize the proper scientific practices and delimit them
from the ones that do not deserve the official legitimization and, last but
not least, on rhetorical vehicles that scientific institutions employ in
order to communicate with their external environment. We are particularly
interested in showing how the tensions between unitary, universalist notion
of science and gradual specialization of research have determined the ways
in which official “knowledge factories” (to borrow a term from Gerald
Raunig’s recent publication) justify their proceedings up to this day. We
would like to approach the loss of these institutions’ authority as an
issue related to their self-awareness, thus revisiting the debate on the
status of scientific knowledge that have engaged numerous theorists since
the 1940s, including Karl Popper, Thomas Kuhn, Imre Lakatos or Bruno
Latour.

While attending to reasons for and histories of mistrust in scientific
institutions we would also like to address its accounts in arts and
culture. For this reason we intend to discuss a number of inventive
artistic or curatorial responses to crises of scientific institutions –
both recent and historical (at least since the age of Bauhaus artists) –
within a separate section of the issue.

We invite contributors to comment on issues related to:
- ‘producing’ the authority of sciences and ways of 'producing reality' by
academic institutions (including popularization of scientific worldview)
- legitimization of scientific knowledge in the view of public value
conflicts
- tension between institutionalized and ‘alternative’ knowledges (the
archeologies of the distinction, the examples of conflicts between sciences
and ‘pseudosciences’, social responses)
- strategies for questioning scientific objectivism
- problematizations of scientific knowledges' legitimacy in arts and culture
- critique of the concept of ‘two cultures’ (Charles P. Snow) as a response
to narrow specialization and instrumentalization of research;
- new institutionalism; attempts at ‘reassembling institutions’ in social
theory and academic or artistic/curatorial practice

We ask contributors to send full articles until March 11th 2018 to
przeglad.kulturoznawczy at uj.edu.pl. Editing guidelines might be found on the
website http://www.ejournals.eu/Przeglad-Kulturoznawczy/menu/149/

With best regards,
editors of the issue: Arkadiusz Półtorak, Piotr Urbanowicz (Faculty of
Polish Studies, Jagiellonian University in Kraków)

--
Arkadiusz Półtorak
PhD Candidate at the Faculty of Polish, Jagiellonian University