[spectre] State Machines book launch at furtherfield Commons, April 23, 2019, London

marc.garrett marc.garrett at protonmail.com
Fri Apr 5 13:36:52 CEST 2019

Furtherfield is honoured to invite you to the book launch of:

State Machines: Reflections and Actions at the Edge of Digital Citizenship, Finance, and Art.

Join editors Yiannis Colakides, Marc Garrett, Inte Gloerich.
Contributors Max Dovey and Helen Kaplinsky.
Respondent Ruth Catlow for short presentations with plenty for time for discussion.

Today, we live in a world where every time we turn on our smartphones, we are inextricably tied by data, laws and flowing bytes to different countries. A world in which personal expressions are framed and mediated by digital platforms, and where new kinds of currencies, financial exchange and even labor bypass corporations and governments. Simultaneously, the same technologies increase governmental powers of surveillance, allow corporations to extract ever more complex working arrangements and do little to slow the construction of actual walls along actual borders. On the one hand, the agency of individuals and groups is starting to approach that of nation states; on the other, our mobility and hard-won rights are under threat. What tools do we need to understand this world, and how can art assist in envisioning and enacting other possible futures?

Book contributors: James Bridle, Max Dovey, Marc Garrett, Valeria Graziano, Max Haiven, Lynn Hershman Leeson, Francis Hunger, Helen Kaplinsky, Marcell Mars, Tomislav Medak, Rob Myers, Emily van der Nagel, Rachel O’Dwyer, Lídia Pereira, Rebecca L. Stein, Cassie Thornton, Paul Vanouse, Patricia de Vries, Krystian Woznicki.

LOCATION: Furtherfield Commons, Finsbury park, London
DATE: Tue, April 23, 2019, 6:00 PM – 8:30 PM
Register (for free) here - http://bit.do/eNyqp

Also - go here to get hard copy or Digital version - http://bit.do/eNyDv

Marc Garrett

Co-Founder, Co-Director and main editor of Furtherfield.
Art, technology and social change, since 1996
http://www.furtherfield.org

Furtherfield Gallery & Commons in the park
Finsbury Park, London N4 2NQhttp://www.furtherfield.org/gallery
Currently writing a PhD at Birkbeck University, London
https://birkbeck.academia.edu/MarcGarrett
Just published: Artists Re:thinking the Blockchain
Eds, Ruth Catlow, Marc Garrett, Nathan Jones, & Sam Skinner
Liverpool Press - http://bit.ly/2x8XlMK