[spectre] Call for participation - Reading the Nauru Files 2019

Suzon Fuks suzonfuks at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 06:35:13 CEST 2019

Dear Spectre list,
I am one of the people co-hosting this event.
If you are interested, please email me asap :)

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION
READING THE NAURU FILES 2019

>From 9am Nauru Time on 19 July until 9am on 20 July 2019 (time zones vary),
people from around the world will read the leaked reports contained within
The Nauru Files as part of a 24-hour networked performance live streamed on
this Facebook event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/320063375568971/

More information on the project appears below, but if you are interested in
reading, please email suzonfuks at gmail.com with ‘YES’ as the email subject.
To determine which pages you will read, please also answer the following
questions:

1- How long can you read for (15min=minimum, 1h=maximum - you can read
several times if you wish)?

2- What time is convenient for you to read?

3- In which city/town you will be?

We will then send you the text you will read, give you instructions on how
to use Facebook Live & all other relevant information mid-next week.

Your participation/ attendance is greatly appreciated. Please note that the
date and time of the performance will vary depending on your location. To
check/convert the date and times into your timezone, please this online
time zone converter: http://bit.ly/32j4lDW
Feel free to share the event amongst your networks
https://www.facebook.com/events/320063375568971

 ==========================

INFORMATION ON THE PROJECT
READING THE NAURU FILES 2019

The Nauru Files are leaked reports from staff (Save the Children teachers,
caseworkers, recreational staff and some may have been written by security)
relating to abuses, self-harm, and neglect of refugees, including children,
who have been detained for 6 years and indefinitely by the Australian
Government. Refugees and people seeking asylum who tried to reach Australia
by boat on or after the 19th of July 2013 were deported by the Australian
government to camps on Nauru and Manus Islands (3-4.500km away from
Australia). Currently, 12 people have died and mental health has reached
alarming and catastrophic levels on both prison-islands.

This networked performance commemorates 6 years to the day of the
“indefinite detention” of people who attempted to arrive by boat to
Australia since the 19th of July 2013 and have been sent into “offshore
processing centres” on Nauru and Manus islands.

By reading this document we hope to urge the Australian politicians to:
- Close the camps
- Bring people to Australia to be processed fairly and swiftly
- Speak to and about refugees and people seeking asylum with respect and
humanity, respecting the Rule of Law, the International Human Rights Chart,
the 1951 International Refugee Convention & 1967 Protocol.

This networked performance builds on previous Reading the Nauru Files
networked performances, which were:
- a 24h networked performance live on Facebook with 50 people from around
the world on the 19 July 2018 commemorating 5 years of "indefinite
detention"
https://www.facebook.com/events/281177502625005 and
http://suzonfuks.net/reading-nauru-files-2018
- an 18h networked performance live on Facebook by James Cunningham and
Suzon Fuks on 19 July 2017 commemorating 4 years of “indefinite detention”
http://suzonfuks.net/reading-nauru-files-2017

The Nauru Files were first published publicly by the Guardian and are
available online https://www.theguardian.com/news/series/nauru-files

TIME OF THE EVENT
This 24-hour event will begin at 9am Nauru time, on 19 July and end at 9am
on 20 July 2019. As this is a networked online reading, the start times and
dates vary depending on your time zone. Please find the start times and
dates in some selected time zones below. Your attendance and support would
be greatly appreciated.
During the event, we will be using the hashtag #NauruFilesLive

START DATES IN SOME TIME ZONES ON THE 19th OF JULY:
Nauru Time, NRT (UTC + 12) - Thu, 19 Jul 2018 @ 09:00
Brisbane, Australia AEST (UTC + 10) - Thu, 19 Jul 2018 @ 07:00
Moscow, Russia MSK (UTC +3) - Thu, 19 Jul 2018 @ 00:00
Tokyo, Japan JST (UTC + 9) - Thu, 19 Jul 2018 @ 06:00
Beijing, China CST (UTC + 8) - Thu, 19 Jul 2018 @ 05:00

START DATES IN SOME TIME ZONES ON THE 18th OF JULY:
Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) - Wed, 18 Jul 2018 @ 21:00
Los Angeles, USA PDT (UTC – 7) - Wed, 18 Jul 2018 @ 14:00
Paris, France CEST (UTC +2) - Wed, 18 Jul 2018 @ 23:00
London, UK BST (UTC + 1) - Wed, 18 Jul 2018 @ 22:00
Curitiba, BRAZIL (UTC -3) - Wed, 18 Jul 2018 @ 18:00
New York, USA EDT (UTC - 4) - Wed, 18 Jul 2018 @ 17:00
Santiago, CHILE (UTC - 4) - Wed, 18 Jul 2018 @ 17:00

Suzon Fuks

+61439929028
*http://suzonfuks.net <http://suzonfuks.net/> | **http://igneous.org.au
<http://igneous.org.au/> **| http://wetlandwander.net
<http://wetlandwander.net/>*

*I acknowledge the country, culture and traditional custodians of the land
upon I walk, work and live, the Turrbal and Jagera peoples. It takes 12000
litres of water to make 500 grams of chocolate! *