[spectre] preliminary program of MoneyLab #7: Outside of Finance (Amsterdam Nov. 14/15)

Geert Lovink geert at xs4all.nl
Sat Jul 13 08:42:43 CEST 2019

MoneyLab#7: Outside of Finance—On feminist economics, social payments, corporate crime and the blokechain (version July 12, 2019)

The Institute of Network Cultures is proud to announce the return of MoneyLab to Amsterdam on November 14 and 15 2019. This home-based 7th edition is filled with workshops, performances and discussions on pressing financial issues. With artists, academics, activists, and geeks we explore what role art, activism and design can play in expanding athe financial ecology of alternatives.

What is happening outside of the system of global finance? At MoneyLab#7 we look into the different responses to Brexit and the spread of right-wing nationalism on European soil, outside of the libertarian start-ups with their often masculine lingoism and preoccupations. Are there any counter-design strategies to the corporatization and nationalization of finance? Can we design a crypto-economy that values care work and focuses on equity and solidarity? How do we relate to the emerging regulatory regimes that want to “civilize” fintech? With platforms operating as banks, can we speak of a gentrification of the payment industry?

Where: Tolhuistuin, Amsterdam

Preliminary program

1. Prospects from the Outside

This panoramic opening session offers an overview of the diversity of topics that are emerging after the blockchain hype. What is the current diagnosis and outlook that the MoneyLab network offers? How can we gain control over the definition of money? What’s left of agency in a cashless society? Can P2P models be a solution for new ecologies? How can blockchain fantasies overcome their male biases? Can the markets be moved beyond their bubble and burst operations?

With: Micky Lee, Brett Scott, Ana Teixeira Pinto, Michel Bauwens

2. Financial Hacking: From Dark Web Smokescreens to White-Collar Crime

Where is the financial investigative journalism beyond the well-publicized schandals of the Panama and Paradise papers? Who is working on revealing white-collar crime and pump and dump schemes in the crypto dark web? Should crypto be beyond regulation? Who are the new players in money laundering?

With: Josephine Wulff, Jamie King, Malcolm Campbell Verduyn

3. Payments and the Platforms: Monetization of Social Media

With Facebook Libra, the whispers of the financialization of the social reached mainstream audiences. Is there anything to be learned from the Chinese examples that we comfortably position as doom scenarios from the Other side? What will happen to already fleeting data ownership? Can we once again look at the porn industry as the avant-garde of fintech-uptake? What can we expect from the competition between alt- and new financial elites?

With: Rachel O’Dwyer, Antonia Hernandez, Valeria Ferrari, Lana Swartz, and Andrea Fumagalli

4. Beyond the Blokechain: the Cryptofeminist Agenda

Defining the architecture of money is too important leave to rightwing libertarian men that dream of autarky – this is what we want to change. What does a crypto-economy look like that values care work? How can the ‘whales’ of blockchain innovation come to understand that they need an equitable system to be sustainable? And what’s up with the SheDAO?

With: Andy Morales Coto, Rachel Falconer

5. The Antennae of Finance: What’s on the Radar?

What do artists envision long before the rest of us see it when it comes to high-frequency trading, algorithmic curation, and the smoke and mirrors of start-ups? Can art offer a way out of the blocked horizons after blockchain euphoria has ended and we are ready to descend into the next crisis? Do we need an environmental angle in our art after money practices?

With: Alexandre Laumonier, Eric Barry Drasin, Aude Launey, Stephanie Rothenberg

6. AltFin: Experiments from Prototype to Pilot

This session is a wild mix of workshops, local reports, and hackathons that show ways into a future for alt-finance.

With: RYBN, IVIR Blockchain and Society, Offshore Wikithon

The conference will be accompanied by a screening program.

MoneyLab Assembly

We want to close this 7th edition with a general assembly on the future of the MoneyLab network. How can we broaden the scope of the MoneyLab project without losing focus? How can we start doing collaborative research? What are the next themes? All are welcome to contribute!

If your institution requires a letter of invitation in order to cover costs to attend the conference, we can provide this for you. Please contact barbara [at] networkcultures [dot] org.