[spectre] MMSU announces an open call for artworks for We're Not Like Them exhibition

Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art mmsu at mmsu.hr
Mon Jun 17 12:07:39 CEST 2019

The deadline: 14 July 2019

View this email in your browser (https://mailchi.mp/62d4c1f7a349/120-umjetnina-na-drugom-katu-otvorenje-izlobe-2403681?e=2b14586770)
https://mmsu.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=3f698acfe3363eaf9e5b57d84&id=a8b5642829&e=2b14586770
MMSU

As part of RISK CHANGE, the EU project dedicated to migrations:

MMSU announces an open call for artworks for We're Not Like Them exhibition

The Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art Rijeka (https://mmsu.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=3f698acfe3363eaf9e5b57d84&id=3f5ee465d9&e=2b14586770) , Croatia (MMSU) has announced an open call for artworks (https://mmsu.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=3f698acfe3363eaf9e5b57d84&id=c44d010fa7&e=2b14586770) for We’re Not Like Them exhibition, which will take place from 26 September to 10 November 2019 at MMSU, as the fourth episode of the EU project RISK CHANGE (https://mmsu.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=3f698acfe3363eaf9e5b57d84&id=8d1eb56d25&e=2b14586770) . The call is open to all individual artists and art collectives from Croatia, EU, and third countries (countries that do not participate in the Creative Europe program). The artworks will be selected by a five-member jury: the MMSU curators Katerina Jovanović, Ksenija Orelj, Sabina Salamon and Marina Tkalčić and Vana Gović from the Maritime and History Museum of the Croatian Littoral.

The deadline for the submission of artworks is 14 July 2019.

In the fourth and final episode of RISK CHANGE, the MMSU deals with prejudices people use to form the picture about others and explores the historical and modern stereotypes about foreign spaces. The basic question examined by the open call and the upcoming exhibition is how the migration crisis affects our concept of newcomers. Contrary to modern proclamations about cultural diversity, in the times of turbulent social changes, people’s perception of the Other often takes on a negative charge. This manifests as exclusion, repulsion, negation, and creation of a fictitious image of the main culprit, while the political issue of the Other is treated, constantly and with the help of mass media, within the frames of seeing the foreigner as a menacing usurper.

The artworks, old and new, are encouraged to seek inspiration not just in modern interpretations of the Other, but also in reflections about foreign, some of which are epitomized in Croatian phrases such as “ne pravi se Englez” [“Stop playing an Englishman” – don’t play stupid] or “dužan ko’ Grčka” [“as indebted as Greece” – to be head over ears in debt] or “nije beg cicija!” [the bey is not a cheapskate!], which exist in this language as part of oral tradition and folklore. One of the desired approaches to this call is to use humor in treating the topics.

The call is open to all kinds of artworks based on documentary records, testimonies, jokes, puns and paraphrases about the Other, which shed some light on the emotional background and perhaps even reveal the thing that lies beneath the surface, firing up old stereotypes and prompting the formation of new ones. In between simplified renderings of ‘us’ and ‘them’, ‘advanced’ and ‘backward’, ‘amiable’ and ‘cold’, ‘honest’ and ‘dishonest’, ‘hardworking’ and ‘flawed’, this exhibition will try to make fun of our own desire to be bigger, louder, more successful and more beautiful than we really are.

We’re Not Like Them is part of the Kitchen, a program line carried out in the scope of Rijeka 2020 – the European Capital of Culture. The entire program is supported by the EU’s Creative Europe, the Croatian Ministry of Culture and the City of Rijeka.

Please find the text of the open call HERE (https://mmsu.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=3f698acfe3363eaf9e5b57d84&id=eb3f34407c&e=2b14586770)

Photo: Manon Avram: "Dyptique Marseille"

** (https://mmsu.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=3f698acfe3363eaf9e5b57d84&id=131a7c07a5&e=2b14586770)
** (https://mmsu.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=3f698acfe3363eaf9e5b57d84&id=2f102bc5d4&e=2b14586770)
** (https://mmsu.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=3f698acfe3363eaf9e5b57d84&id=6d8b69469c&e=2b14586770)
** (https://mmsu.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=3f698acfe3363eaf9e5b57d84&id=89dee87b06&e=2b14586770)

Muzej moderne i suvremene umjetnosti
Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art
Krešimirova 26 c, 51000 Rijeka

UTO – NED: 11 – 20 sati
TUE – SUN: 11 am – 8 pm
You can ** update your preferences (https://mmsu.us7.list-manage.com/profile?u=3f698acfe3363eaf9e5b57d84&id=be5a6b23d0&e=2b14586770)
.

This email was sent to spectre at mikrolisten.de (mailto:spectre at mikrolisten.de)
why did I get this? (https://mmsu.us7.list-manage.com/about?u=3f698acfe3363eaf9e5b57d84&id=be5a6b23d0&e=2b14586770&c=08367e24ed)     unsubscribe from this list (https://mmsu.us7.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=3f698acfe3363eaf9e5b57d84&id=be5a6b23d0&e=2b14586770&c=08367e24ed)     update subscription preferences (https://mmsu.us7.list-manage.com/profile?u=3f698acfe3363eaf9e5b57d84&id=be5a6b23d0&e=2b14586770)
Muzej moderne i suvremene umjetnosti . Krešimirova 26 c . Rijeka 51000 . Croatia

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp
http://www.mailchimp.com/monkey-rewards/?utm_source=freemium_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=monkey_rewards&aid=3f698acfe3363eaf9e5b57d84&afl=1