[spectre] Call for makers: Augmented Attention Lab at Sensorium Festival 2019

Sissel Marie Tonn sisselmarietonn at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 10:42:16 CET 2019

*Application Deadline*: April 1st, 2019

Sensory Cartographies (artists Jonathan Reus and Sissel Marie Tonn) invites
makers to submit a proposal for the Augmented Attention Lab at Sensorium
Festival, Bratislava from
*7th - 9th of June, 2019. More info and sign-up form here:
https://sensorium.is/lab <https://sensorium.is/lab>*
Description of Lab:

It is becoming evident, that the multiple social platforms, screens and
technological devices, that we surround ourselves with, scatter and
fragment our attention. This poses a problem, since from an evolutionary
perspective, our ability to attend, react and adapt to the environmental
changes occurring around us, are the determining factor of our survival as
a species. In a present, where environmental change is the single biggest
challenge to our species, how can an awareness of our perceptual
limitations foster new ways of creating technologies and practices for
augmenting our own modes of attention?

In this lab we will explore ways of creating technologies and practices,
that focuses and fine-tunes our attention towards sensing varied
intensities of change within our environment. We will be exploring the
subject by looking at qualitative methods such as ‘microphenomenology’,
which is used to zoom in on the fine gradients of human experience of the
world, as well as explore ways of ‘hacking’ sensory perception, through
exercises and field trips within the city of Bratislava and beyond. We
invite makers to come together to build new wearable/portable tools and
develop sensory practices, that augment the body in order to sense
environmental changes, happening at the threshold of the human sensory
spectrum.
Participate:
*The Augmented Attention Lab* is looking for practitioners, who are
interested in developing technologies (in the widest sense of the word)
that afford awareness and attention towards our surroundings, and who wish
to engage with these issues through a collaborative making process. We look
for a mix of artists, designers, musicians, neuroscientists, technologists,
etc, who are willing to step out of their comfort zone, for a 4 day
intensive pressure cooker. The facilitators of the lab will focus on
wearable sensor systems and e-textile practices as a point of departure,
but we welcome all inventions/interventions that challenge the perceptual
and sensory modes of the body within its environment.

Will your practice/project benefit from being part of this lab? Then *submit
your entry for our open call here
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScEiiC_677_-uug3VphF7YVjVwXmc_4o28FdIBzf7_hnTsmZQ/viewform>,
by Sunday 24th of March!* The Sensorium team and lab facilitators will then
select a fitting team of participants from the submissions to ensure a rich
and diverse group.
Practicalities:

The Augmented Attention Lab will take place in Bratislava, Slovakia from
the 3rd - 6th of June. Participation in the lab is free (thanks to generous
support by Goethe Institut Bratislava). Note that participants pay their
own travel to and accommodation in Bratislava. There will be digital
fabrication amenities and tools available for wearable-tech production on
site.

The lab is part of Sensorium Festival <https://sensorium.is>, which will be
taking place in Bratislava, Slovakia, from the *7th - 9th of June*.
Sensorium is the first slovak festival making sense of creative technology,
and it gathers an international community of artists, designers,
technologists and entrepreneurs for its conference programme, interactive
exhibition, live performances and cross-disciplinary workshops. This year’s
theme will be ‘The Augmented Mind’.

*The Augmented Attention Lab will culminate in an open lab session at the
beginning of Sensorium Festival.* Curious visitors will be invited to look
behind the scenes, test prototypes and ask questions.