[spectre] New podcast: New York artist Susan Bee defends the political and subversive potential that develops when art and pleasure unite.

Radio Web MACBA rwm2008 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 13:01:49 CET 2020

*New podcast: New York artist Susan Bee
<https://rwm.macba.cat/en/sonia/sonia-308-susan-bee>* defends the political
and subversive potential that develops when art and pleasure unite. Which
is why imagination, poetry, humour, subjectivity, textures, colours, lines,
and matter play an essential role in her work, both in her collages and
paintings and her artist’s books. As an art student in the late sixties,
she first came in contact with feminist activism and other social movements
such as black power, gay rights, and protests against the Vietnam War. In
1986, she embarked on the project M/E/A/N/I/N/G, a self-managed art
magazine that she co-edited with fellow artist Mira Schor for thirty years.
In this podcast, Susan also shares the particularities of being a woman and
an artist who has passed the age threshold of 65 in New York’s artistic
ecosystem today.

Link: https://rwm.macba.cat/en/sonia/sonia-308-susan-bee

Susan Bee was born in New York, where she has always lived and worked. As
an art student in the late sixties, she first came in contact with feminist
activism and other social movements such as black power, gay rights, and
protests against the Vietnam War.

In 1986, she embarked on the project M/E/A/N/I/N/G, a self-managed art
magazine that she co-edited with fellow artist Mira Schor for thirty years.
>From the strict black and white pages of M/E/A/N/I/N/G, a plurality of
voices of artists, poets, thinkers, and writers have discussed and
reflected on art and feminism, art and racism, art and maternity, and art
and activism, and on censorship, sexuality, poetry, aesthetics, and visual
culture.

*E/N/J/O/Y*