[spectre] Anthropocene Back Loop by Stephanie Wakefield – available open access

Gary Hall mail at garyhall.info
Mon May 18 14:52:07 CEST 2020

We are delighted to announce the latest title in the Critical Climate
Chaos, Irreversibility series: Stephanie Wakefield's very timely
/Anthropocene Back Loop: Experimentation in Unsafe Operating Space./

Like all Open Humanities Press books, /Anthropocene Back Loop/ is
available for free:

http://www.openhumanitiespress.org/books/titles/anthropocene-backloop/

In the face of climate chaos, post-truth politics, and growing
tribalisms, it’s clear that liberalism’s old structures are unraveling.
Drawing on resilience ecology, Stephanie Wakefield suggests we
understand such phenomena to be indicators that we are entering the
Anthropocene’s back loop, a time of release and collapse, confusion and
reorientation, in which not only populations and climates are being
upended but also physical and metaphysical grounds. /Anthropocene Back
Loop/ takes us on a journey though different responses and
manifestations of the back loop, exploring urban resilience
infrastructures, post-apocalyptic imaginaries in fiction and critical
theory, and a range of everyday practices from survival skills and
physical fitness to experimentation with one’s soul. Rather than
returning to liberalism’s safe operating space, what is needed and what
can be seen in many contemporary practices, Wakefield argues, are forms
of experimentation geared toward charting autonomous modes of living
within the back loop’s new unsafe operating spaces. Such efforts often
let go of old frameworks, hubristically experiment with new uses,
cultivate an allowance for the unknown, and embrace a confidence in
exploring one’s own pathways. What these iterations suggest is that the
back loop, long imagined in the singular, is spiraling out into myriad
trajectories. After all, if we take seriously the idea that liberalism’s
single world order is unraveling, we have the opportunity - one many
have long fought for - to create our own new codes, if not new worlds.
Being in the back loop means that we have already crossed various
tipping points, and that in doing so, everything from social practices,
technologies, and truth to plants, animals, and places have become
shaken out of their normal frameworks. We are free to move on new planes.

‘Announcing the apocalypse is easy. But doing something constructive
with planetary catastrophe is rare and precious. Stephanie Wakefield’s
repurposing of the ecological 'back loop’ for the badlands of the
Anthropocene will not only fire your imagination, it will wind you up
and send you out to slash, burn, pump, hammer, rivet and rewire a
liveable world into existence.

/- Nigel Clark/ – Chair of Social Sustainability, Lancaster University

Are we just survivors? Is our fate to endlessly – and aimlessly — govern
the climate crisis? In this unexpected and inspiring book, Stephanie
Wakefield reclaims the Anthropocene ‘back loop’ as a time for
experimentation rather than fear, a time to probe possibilities rather
than desperately cling to a ‘safe operating space’ that is safe only for
a few. Anthropocene Back Loop returns to a key insight: Being is a
question, not a blueprint. What other modes of life can we invent?

/- Bruce Braun/ – Professor, University of Minnesota

Author Bio

Stephanie Wakefield is an urban geographer and teacher. She is currently
an Urban Studies Foundation International Postdoctoral Research Fellow
based at Florida International University in the Department of Global
and Sociocultural Studies and Institute of Environment. She writes
frequently for popular, art, and academic journals.

Best, Gary, David and Sigi

--
Gary Hall
Professor of Media

Director of Open Humanities Press: http://www.openhumanitiespress.org
Website http://www.garyhall.info

Latest:
‘How to Be An Anti-Bourgeois Theorist: Postdigital Politics in a Time of Pandemics IV’: http://garyhall.squarespace.com/journal/2020/5/12/how-to-be-an-anti-bourgeois-theorist-postdigital-politics-in.html