[spectre] Ràdio Web MACBA most listened podcasts October 2020

Radio Web MACBA rwm2008 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 15:16:39 CET 2020

*Ràdio Web MACBA most listened podcasts October 2020
<https://rwm.macba.cat/en>*

*1- Jonáš Gruska
<https://rwm.macba.cat/en/sonia/sonia-318-jonas-gruska>: “If I build it
myself I know who to blame when it doesn’t work.”*

The slovak musician, sound artist, and maker Jonáš Gruska is a proud
amateur, honouring the French origin of the term (to love what you do).
Curiosity and passion run through pretty much everything that Gruska
engages in. In our conversation ranging from his site-specific sound
installations to his hand-crafted microphones and audio tools, his recent
interest in mycology, and his playful exploration of the electromagnetic
spectrum, Jonáš used the word 'fascination' quite a lot. We talk to Jonáš
about resonating spaces, resonating surfaces, tramways, self-taught
electronic circuitry, field recordings, fermentation, mushrooms, and
unusual microphones.

Link: https://rwm.macba.cat/en/sonia/sonia-318-jonas-gruska

*2- Professor Oyèwùmi:
<https://rwm.macba.cat/en/sonia/sonia-303-oyeronke-oyewumi> "Part of what I
am doing is to historicize how gender became important in the colonies as
the result of the fact that the colonizers brought their ideas about
gender. That is the crook of the matter." *

In this podcast, Professor Oyèwùmi
<https://rwm.macba.cat/en/sonia/sonia-303-oyeronke-oyewumi> talks about
age, seniority, and respect, about unscrupulousness and academia,
dispossession and spirituality. She considers the oxymoron of the notion of
“single mother” from the point of view of Yoruba culture, and she also
notes how observance of community practices from non-Western cultures may
be an unnecessary step as we face the planetary challenges to come.

Link: https://rwm.macba.cat/en/sonia/sonia-303-oyeronke-oyewumi

*3- Anja Kanngieser:
<https://rwm.macba.cat/en/sonia/sonia-314-anja-kanngieser> "I don't know
what climate justice could exist when the reality is that Kiribati will be
gone. It's undeniable. Kiribati will be gone. You think about what justice
would mean. At the moment it's conversations around loss and damages. How
could you ever compensate for that? An entire land gone and indigenous
people displaced forever."*
Political geographer and sound artist Anja Kanngieser
<https://rwm.macba.cat/en/sonia/sonia-314-anja-kanngieser> works in the
coordinates between space and sound. This merging of disciplines that seems
completely normal to her tends to be more perplexing to the
compartmentalised world of science and academia than to the undisciplined
field of artistic practice. In this podcast, we become the listeners
as Anja Kanngieser
reflects on expanded listening, on the inaudible, and on our
anthropocentrism. They talk about their long-standing interest in sound
governance and dissect the many tensions that built up in the project
“Climates of Listening”, which was originally based on the intention of
amplifying campaigns for self-determination and self-representation in the
Pacific.

Link: https://rwm.macba.cat/en/sonia/sonia-314-anja-kanngieser

*4- *ON LISTENING #1
<https://rwm.macba.cat/en/research/listening-1-thinking-through-ear>.
Thinking (through) the ear. With conversations with Salomé Voegelin, Peter
Szendy, Christoph Cox, Casey O'Callahan, Seth Kim-Cohen and Julian Henriques

*To what extent is listening ‘thinkable’?* Philosophical inquiry, deeply
rooted in the visual regime, seems to struggle when it comes to
theoretically coming to grips with listening and sonic phenomena. It is,
after all, no coincidence that the Greek term ‘theoria’ (θεωρία) means
‘looking at, viewing, beholding’. This programme explores philosophy’s
seeming difficulty in grappling with listening and its counterpart – sound
– as a powerful deconstructive means to cut through some of the
philosophical certainties that underpin classical and modern Western
thought. Can we conceive sounds as objects, or it would be more appropriate
to consider them events? How far can the phenomenological approach to sound
take us, and how much can we rely on it? And what about new materialisms?
Are they more useful, in hermeneutic terms, when dealing with sound and
listening? These are some of the issues addressed in part one of ON
LISTENING.

https://rwm.macba.cat/en/research/listening-1-thinking-through-ear

*5- *Reni Hofmüller:
<https://rwm.macba.cat/en/sonia/sonia-317-reni-hofmuller>*"The great thing
in the 80s and 90s was that there was still the possibility to formulate
radical positions and be heard. Now, with the fragmentation that we have, I
don't really know who hears me. *
In this podcast, Reni Hofmüller
<https://rwm.macba.cat/en/sonia/sonia-317-reni-hofmuller> shares her early
commitment with radio, as well as her obsession with dismantling the
invisible in order to understand and question it. A trip through time that
takes us from the 1980s to the present, through her personal involvement in
feminist discussions from the perspective of new media. Our conversation is
riddled with references to her commitment to open source, to doing things
together, to the uninhibited mixing of disciplines, and to her passion for
the electromagnetic sphere and bicycles.

Link: https://rwm.macba.cat/en/sonia/sonia-317-reni-hofmuller
E/N/J/O/Y/