[rohrpost] Berlin 30.October- 02.November: "The Travels of Mariko Horo" at Engelbrot Theater

Tamiko Thiel tamiko at alum.mit.edu
Die Okt 21 12:48:28 CEST 2008

Dear Friends,

I'm delighted to annouce that my interactive 3D installation "The
Travels of Mariko Horo" will be showing in Berlin as part of Symposium
"ANIME Japanese Comics Global," co-hosted by the Japanese-German Center
Berlin and the Japan Foundation.

It is a very short exhibit, only 4 days including the opening evening!
"Mariko Horo" will be shown in a side room ("Kaminraum"), you might have
to look around a bit to find it! I'll be at the opening, but there is a
rather full program, and it's possible that I'll only be in my
installation space after 9:30pm (21:30 hours,) when the rest of the
program is over and the buffet starts!

I will also be a guest speaker at the Anime Symposium on October 31st
(see info further below.)

Yours, Tamiko Thiel

Exhibition: 30.October - 02.November 2008
Engelbrot Theater
  Alt Moabit 48 (near Gotzkowskystr.)
  10555 Berlin
  (U9/Turmstrasse, then Bus 245 to Gotzkowskystr.
  Tel: 030 / 39 83 87 21
  http://www.engelbrot.com/spielplan.html
  ("Mariko Horo" is not mentioned, but will be shown from 19:00pm on!)

Eroeffnungs-Programm:
---------------------
19:00 h Begrüßung (Sprachen: japanisch-deutsch, simultan gedolmetscht)
19:05 h Einführung KOJIMA Masayuki (Regisseur)
19:15 h ANIME Filmvorführung: „Piano Forest/ The Perfect World of Kai”
         Regie: KOJIMA Masayuki, 2007 (OmU, engl. Untertitel)
20:45 h Gesprächsrunde Sprachen: japanisch-deutsch, simultan
         gedolmetscht
         MARUYAMA Masao (Kreativdirektor von MADHOUSE)
         KOJIMA Masayuki (Regisseur)
         Stefan RIEKELES (Moderator)
21:30 h Büffet mit Filmmusik (Umkostenbeitrag 10,- €)

Symposium ANIME Japanese Comics Global: 31 October 2008
Note: the Japanese-German Center Berlin is at a very different location
than the Engelbrot Theater!

Japanisch-Deutsches Zentrum Berlin (JDZB)
  Saargemünder Straße 2 (U3/Krumme Lanke, get out at Oskar-Helene-Heim)
  14195 Berlin, Germany
  Tel.: +49 (0)30 839 07 0

I will be speaking (in English!) at 13:30pm

Here is an overview (in German and Japanese):
http://www.jdzb.de/index.php?option=com_events&task=eventDetails&cat_id=1&cid=88&Itemid=30

Here is the full program:
http://www.mission-base.com/tamiko/mariko-horo/press/animeProgram.pdf

"The Travels of Mariko Horo"
  interactive 3D virtual reality installation
  by Tamiko Thiel, 2006

The Travels of Mariko Horo is a "reverse Marco Polo" fantasy in which
Mariko Horo, a time-traveling Japanese woman, constructs the exotic and
unknowable Occident. The user nevers sees Mariko, she IS Mariko and
explores the world as seen through her eyes. The piece was inspired by
Japanese artists who, between the 17th-19th centuries while the country
was closed, created their own fantasy of the West on the basis of a few
images enhanced by their own fertile imaginations.

Research and development was funded by the following institutions:
- 2003 Japan Foundation Fellowship (background research)
- 2003 Kyoto Art Center residency (background research)
- 2004 Center for Advanced Visual Studies Fellowship, Massachusetts
        Institute of Technology (MIT), Cambridge, USA (production)
- 2006 "Young Art/New Media" prize of the City of Munich, Germany.
- ongoing: Bitmanagement Software GmbH, technical sponsor

Web links to more information:

Website for "The Travels of Mariko Horo:"
  http://www.mission-base.com/tamiko/mariko-horo/

Tamiko Thiel's online portfolio:
  http://www.mission-base.com/tamiko/

Tamiko Thiel's CV & bio: