[rohrpost] paraflows 08 - MetaSpace in DiscourseLab - Tuesday / Sept 16

Guenther Friesinger guenther.friesinger at univie.ac.at
Die Sep 16 10:01:37 CEST 2008

Tuesday / Sept 16

12 noon

I can haz hashbrownz
Net Culture Brunch

An open brunch format aka Brunz

What is food?

Food is any substance, usually composed primarily of carbohydrates, fats,
water and/or proteins, that can be eaten or drunk by an animal or human
for nutrition or pleasure. Items considered food may be sourced from
plants, animals or other categories such as fungus or fermented products
like alcohol. Although many human cultures sought food items through
hunting and gathering, today most cultures use farming, ranching, and
fishing, with hunting, foraging and other methods of a local nature
included but playing a minor role.

Most traditions have a recognizable cuisine, a specific set of cooking
traditions, preferences, and practices, the study of which is known as
gastronomy. Many cultures have diversified their foods by means of
preparation, cooking methods and manufacturing. This also includes a
complex food trade which helps the cultures to economically survive
by-way-of food, not just by consumption.

Many cultures study the dietary analysis of food habits. While humans are
omnivores, religion and social constructs such as morality often affect
which foods they will consume. Food safety is also a concern with
foodborne illness claiming many lives each year. In many languages, food
is often used metaphorically or figuratively, as in "food for thought".

6 PM
Presentation of Kiberpipa and Haip Festival
Klemen Robnik, Kiperpipa

A workshop by Klemen Robnik in which we will see how Kiberpipa got to be,
how it evolved and what does it do now. It will also be presented how
communities and place interact and overlap, what effort does it take to
maintain such entity, where can we go wrong and what can be the results.
At the final stage we will try to "clone" Kiberpipa environment on site
for a few minutes.

http://metalab.at/wiki/Paraflows_2008
http://www.paraflows.at/