[spectre] concerning videography in palestinian territory in question

philip pocock philip.pocock@t-online.de
Sun, 16 Sep 2001 11:49:52 +0200

here a mail which may interest the thread beginning with:
Message: 8
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 17:15:12 +0100
To: spectre@mikrolisten.de
From: Chris Byrne <chris@mediascot.org>
Subject: [spectre] Fwd: Lies about Palestinian celebration

Shubhranshu Choudhary
Asstt. Bureau Producer
BBC South Asia Bureau
1, Rafi Marg
New Delhi-1, India
tel 0091 9811066749
e-mail  shu@bbc.co.uk

Palestinians happy, journalists reporting not
The Associated Press on Wednesday protested to the Palestinian Authority

about threats against a freelance cameraman who filmed Palestinians
celebrating terror attacks in the United States.

The videographer, on assignment for Associated Press Television News,
was summoned to a Palestinian Authority security office and told that
the material must not be aired. Calls in the name of the Tanzim militia,

an armed group associated with Yasser Arafat's Fatah group, warned him
he would be held responsible and made what he interpreted as threats on
his life.

Ahmed Abdel Rahman, Arafat's Cabinet secretary, said the Palestinian
Authority ''cannot guarantee the life'' of the cameraman if the footage
was broadcast.

The cameraman then requested that the material not be aired. In light of

the danger, APTN has not released the footage of the rally in Nablus. AP

news stories reported worldwide on the demonstration in Nablus and AP
distributed still pictures and video of similar rallies in east
Jerusalem, Lebanon and elsewhere.

An AP still photographer did not take pictures of the Nablus rally after

being warned at the scene not to do so. The protest by AP Chief of
Bureau Dan Perry said, ''I ask the assurances of the Palestinian
Authority that you will protect our journalists from threats and
attempts at intimidation and that no harm would come to our freelance
cameraman from distribution of the film.''

Source: http://www.ap.org - AP / Foreign Press Association