[spectre] Re: SPECTRE digest, Vol 1 #26 - 9 msgs

Chris Byrne chris@mediascot.org
Sat, 22 Sep 2001 15:56:13 +0100

Philip,

This seems to come down to subject lines.

I had no idea your message was in fact a reply to my message, until
reviewing the list systematically. So maybe we both need to think about the
appropriateness of our subject lines in context.

You accuse me of a great deal which I did not say. The inference is your
own. What are we to read into your quoting of Nostradamus?

I simply forwarded a message, leaving the subject line intact. I added my
qualification to indicate that I could not verify the source of the
information. At a time when the most powerful government on the planet has
declared a state of war, I think we need to be careful to think about the
sources of our information. A thread has started in this list about the
statements and counter-statements regarding the authenticity of the footage
in question.

There has been much hysteria in the media lately, perhaps this shows the
difficulty the journalists have in coming to terms with this terrible
attack, which is not only a very real human tragedy but a global media
event. Regardless of the authenticity of said footage, its widespread
dissemination by the global media not only clearly enraged US government
spokesmen last week, but was a rather convenient emotional justification
for Israel's military activity prior to the recently declared ceasefire.

My point was that, like the bombing of Pan Am flight 103 over the Scottish
town of Lockerbie, we may never discover the truth about who killed
thousands of people in New York. Political expediency always wins out.

We may find it unpalatable that there are some who apparently celebrate
this act of mass murder. But it is undeniable that the US government is the
perpetrator of far greater crimes in the past 50 years. And the same
government is now using the New York attack as a justification for
increased surveillance, permission for the CIA to assassinate suspected
terrorists, covert special forces operations, and who knows what else they
haven't released to the media.

The question is not 'Does Time Warner AOL hate Palestinians?'. It should
be: are journalists checking their sources before repeating verbatim
statements from the US government? Are they questioning any of the
assumptions made in these statements? It seems that many are now doing
this, but last week it was hard to detect any sign of analysis from
broadcast media.

Chris