[spectre] Art on the Edge, Tromso/NO, Jan 26-27, 2002

Andreas Broeckmann abroeck@transmediale.de
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 20:11:48 +0200

Art on the Edge
Reflections upon Extreme (Media) Art Practices
Tromso, Norway January 26th-27th, 2002

http://www.arcart.no

How far can art go? What conceptual and ethical boundaries of art can be fou=
nd
in virtual space and electronic media? Can this arena be fully free? Which
invisible determinants and unknown powers work upon art built by information
and communication technologies? How is it possible for the audience to proce=
ss
art that transgresses ethical borders? Which art practices =97 if any =97=
 can be
called extreme? How do extreme art practices differ from other art practices
which also go beyond the =91normal=92? Can extreme artistic expressions cont=
ribute
to ethical discourse? As the digital media arts have become established, and
therefore rendered powerless, what post-digital distortions can we expect? I=
there something beyond art, a jenseits, a trans-art? Is it possible to find
strategies to detect, analyze and verbalize these areas which transgress
visual
communication?
The seminar will present examples of extreme media art and discuss views on
art
practice on the edge of conventional borders.
ArcArt 02=92s focus is on emerging, experimental (media) art and its
influence on
expressions in contemporary art.
The symposium aims to expand the limits of the art world as we know it today=
=2E

The extreme environment of the Far North has inspired us to focus on artisti=
practices and expressions =91on the edge=92 =97 and beyond. The city of=
 Troms=F8 in
Northern Norway will host the conference Art on the Edge.

'The closer I get to the limits, the crazier my art gets'