[spectre] LED - Live Interactive Art Opening at Goatsilk. Friday, Nov. 21, 6-10 pm.

kovats at intertwilight.net kovats at intertwilight.net
Thu Nov 20 07:45:22 CET 2003

For those anywhere at the right time ...

on 20.11.2003 13:20 Uhr, Goatsilkgallery at aol.com at
Goatsilkgallery at aol.com wrote:

Dear All:

Wherever you are in the world, Goatsilk invites you to a a live interactive
art opening for the LED sign, a web project designed by Ian McGhie,
Chris Scott, and Dave Voorhis from Manitoba, Canada.  The opening
will take place on Friday, November 21 from 6-10 pm (Mountain
Standard Time) at Goatsilk.  1909 Wyoming Street #5.  Missoula,
Montana.  Those of you residing locally are invited to join the "physical"
festivities, and those of you from far away are invited to "mentally"
attend on-line at www.goatsilk.com <http://www.goatsilk.com/> .
Whatever you write in  will appear instantly on the sign in the
gallery--throughout the opening and at all times until February 15.  A
web cam will automatically shoot a picture of your text message on the
sign, and put it back on the web where we, you, and the public can
view.  During the opening, the more  participants we have world wide
the better, so tell your friends in far away places to log on and check it
out.  This promises to be an exciting event that will test how many
people can reach the LED sign, as well as how many people the LED
sign can reach.

The LED Sign is a thought depository. Every letter, word and word
string is evidence of active transformation.  The LED Sign funnels
anonymous thought through a tiny slice of cyberspace sandwiched
between two connecting points: the screen/sign and the camera, both
of which are directly connected to the internet. The air between the
camera and the sign is charged by our knowledge of it as a kind of
electronic leak-a cyber slip- that allows us to more easily comprehend
how far thoughts, no matter how insignificant or inane, can travel via the
internet.

Similarly, we want to expand the reach of an art opening and exhibition.
The experience of using and viewing the LED sign on-line offers a thrill
equal, at least, tobeing able to watch the sign in person. By placing the
sign in the context ofan art gallery, we hope to isolate some of its
broader meaning beyond the generally humorous/profane phrases
humans tend to post. The sign, as well as the internet itself, shows us
something true about our comic-tragic "nature," which is one of the
basic revelations of art.

Art generates thoughts that have a magical power to change us;
contemplating technology and its potential produces this same effect.
As human expression travels digitally across the web, we glimpse the
possibility for a digitalization of consciousness. As frightening to some
as it is exciting to others, the structure and expansion of the web looks
more and more organic each day; it seems no coincidence that it
would become more entangled with the constant stream of thoughts
that feed it.  This, in tandem with the growing tension between physical
space and cyberspace, gives the concrete impression of an
evolutionary direction. It's certainly possible-and in fact likely-- that
the
currently less satisfying experience of the "virtual"; in cyberspace will
become strong enough to fuse with, and eventually overtake, what we
commonly accept as reality in our current mode of conscious
existence.

 While it is overtly entertaining to read the random messages left on the
sign, the depthier effect of this art is generated by what computer code
makes possible. The technological workings of the LEDsign -and the
programming language that gives the sign life - in conjunction with the
human thoughts it broadcasts, invites a deeper look at the
relationships between spoken/written language and computer
languages/codes.  Human language is easily read yet its meanings
are, for the most part, sloppy and inadequate. Computer languages, by
contrast, though incomprehensible to thecurrent human majority, are
much more complete than their spoken predecessors.The meanings
transmitted by computer languages present greater possibilities for
reaching direct resolve with their intentions and effects. It is noteworthy
that the ineffable languages of contemporary written poetry and visual
art strive to operate in much the same way, yet their traditional forms
and methods seem to be waning in their ability to create lasting impact.
Realizing this, we should perhaps anticipate that the future of
creativity--and art in general--lies within "the makings" of cyberspace,
and at least partially--if not completely--in the elegant new languages of
machines.

-Goatsilk