[spectre] Microcinema International - NEW 2006 Call for Works

Stephanie Martz stephanie at microcinema.com
Wed Dec 14 21:57:06 CET 2005

Independent Exposure 2006 - Call For Works
to view the page on our website please go here:
http://www.microcinema.com/index/call2006

Independent Exposure

An international touring exhibition of moving image art
Presented by Microcinema International
Curators: Microcinema International
Judges: Addictive TV (United Kingdom)
Deadline: Must be Received by March 31, 2006
Screenings: worldwide
Grand Prize: Panasonic AG-DVX100A 1/3" 3-CCD 24P/30P/60i DV Cinema Camera
Fees: US$5
More information write: submissions at microcinema.com
On-line call:  www.microcinema.com/index/call2006

Independent Exposure 2006
An Ongoing Microcinema Screening Program of International Short Films,
Videos and Digital Works

Independent Exposure is based in San Francisco and Houston. The program,
held continuously since 1996, has presented the short moving image works
of over 1500 artists from all over the world. Beyond the San Francisco
and Houston screenings, Independent Exposure tours many worldwide
venues, in many places where independent films are rarely screened.
Independent Exposure has been presented hundreds of times in 43
countries plus Palestine and Antarctica and a base camp on Mt. Everest.

2006 is the ELEVENTH season.

WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR?

For our Independent Exposure 2006 compilation series we accept short
video, film and digital media submissions of 15 minutes or less and are
currently looking for narrative, humorous, dramatic, animation,
documentary, experimental, alternative, avant-garde, music videos,
erotic, gay/lesbian, and underground works of all genres and styles.

SUBMISSION GUIDELINES and CHECKLIST see our Submission FAQ
see the Submission Checklist at www.micrcinema.com/index/checklist

You must fill out the online form found here:
www.microcinema.com/submissionform.php (for all calls).
FEES: US$5.00 payable by check, money or credit card/Paypal online.
Please send check with submission or PAY ONLINE at
www.microcinema.com/index/subpay.

Please send us your screeners on VHS, CD, miniDV, or DVD, readable on PC.
PAL or NTSC accepted for screeners.

For exhibition we will require works on mini-DV or unauthored DVD (mpeg,
avi, or mov files only). MiniDV PAL or NTSC OK. Unauthored data files
must be in NTSC.

Must be 15 minutes or less, including all titles...NO EXCEPTIONS.

A brief synopsis of the work(s) and a short biography of the artists of
up to 50 words maximum is also requested. Still .jpeg or .gif (PC
formatted) should be included on a CD along with biographical materials
and synopses.

Please include a stamped, self-addressed postcard that we will send back
to you as indication of reception of your film.

ALL SUBMITTED ITEMS (papers, DVDs, tapes, cards, etc) MUST HAVE THE
ARTIST NAME, NAME OF THE WORK, AND CONTACT INFORMATION PRINTED CLEARLY.

Deadline: March 31, 2006 (must be received at the address below)

Please mail all submissions to:
Independent Exposure 2006
c/o Microcinema International
1528 Sul Ross
Houston, TX 77006
USA
+1-415-864-0660
FAX: +1-509-351-1530

Please address all inquiries to:
Stephanie Martz, Associate Curator
submissions at microcinema.com

SCREENINGS AND AWARDS:

The Microcinema Curatorial Team of Joel S. Bachar, Patrick Kwiatkowski,
and Stephanie Martz will curate 5 programs (approximately 60 minutes in
length) that will then tour throughout 2006 and early 2007. Each program
premieres at our "home Microcinema" in San Francisco at 111 Minna Gallery.

Selected artists receive a US$50 honorarium and will be eligible for our
awards program.

Addictive TV to judge Independent Exposure 2006, Curate "best-of",
Panasonic Grand Prize

We are also pleased to announce our collaboration with Panasonic Broadcast.
For our 2006 Independent Exposure season, a grand prize will be awarded
to a filmmaker selected by United Kingdom audiovisual artists and VJs
ADDICTIVE TV www.addictive.com. The grand prize will be a Panasonic
AG-DVX100A 1/3" 3-CCD 24P/30P/60i DV Cinema Camera. Other prizes will be
announced at a later date.

Addictive TV will curate a "Best of Independent Exposure 2006" which
will then screen in San Francisco in fall of 2006. Addictive TV will
also select a grand prizewinner.

Winners will be selected and notified by September 1, 2006.

TERMS see Full Terms

Upon acceptance, practitioners will be awarded a $50 honorarium. Artists
will be contacted by Microcinema International regarding the exposure of
works through festival exhibition, online screenings, promotional
materials, and on print media (prints/catalogues) for gallery showings.
All filmmakers agree, when submitting, that they have secured the
necessary rights to screen the works in this touring festival, and that
Microcinema is granted a non-exclusive 3-year license to screen work(s)
at any one of Microcinema's Independent Exposure 2006 or Mobile Exposure
2006 screening tours and Microcinema's on-line festival website as well
as on www.microcinema.com and www.independentexposure.com for
promotional, archival and other non-commercial uses). All artists retain
copyrights.

About Addictive TV www.addictive.com

"If there ever was a truly groundbreaking bunch of guys in the VJ world,
it's certainly this lot" said DJ Magazine, voting Addictive TV number
one in their first ever worldwide VJ poll in 2004. The London based
group of DJs, VJs and producers have been championing the art of the VJ
and pushing it into mainstream media for a decade now.

Performing internationally, crisscrossing the art and club worlds,
Addictive TV have played at venues from the Pompidou Centre in Paris and
the roof of the National Theatre in London to Tokyo superclub Ageha and
the UK's Glastonbury Festival. Recent audiovisual performances include
the 2005 Roskilde festival in front 20,000 people. and Sven Vath's
amazing Cocoon Club in Frankfurt, using 25 projectors. And as VJs, in
the past the guys have mixed live visual sets for artists including
Howie B, Andrew Weatherall, Goldie and Fatboy Slim.

On the flipside, producing for television, Addictive TV were the first
to put VJs on TV back in 1998 with their Transambient series for Channel
4 (UK), and in the last five years have produced four seasons of the
ITV1 music series Mixmasters, commissioning over 300 artists worldwide
including many of the best names in electronic music from Miss Kittin
and DJ Spooky, to Plump DJs and Derrick Carter plus a whole host of
international VJs. In 1999, they set up what is acknowledged as the
worlds first VJfocused DVD label, releasing compilation DVD albums
fusing music and visuals releases include Audiovisualize, cult classic
in the genre Transambient and the Mixmasters series.

This year, Addictive TV judged the VJ category at the 2005 Diesel UMusic
Awards, the Radio 1/BBC archive Superstar VJs competition and DJ
Magazine's TScan Awards. Also in 2005, the team broke new ground
organising the sellout music and visuals hybrid festival Optronica at
the National Film Theatre and bfi London IMAX cinema the first festival
dedicated to the audiovisual genre plus the first time the IMAX venue
has been used for live performances in such a way. Currently Addictive
TV are working on the Rapture Riders video mashup for EMI, remixing
Blondie Vs The Doors, for release in November 2005.