[spectre] Térraba - Indigenous Woman Video and Talk

eyescratch at gmail.com eyescratch at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 17:36:51 CET 2005

                                                              `- _
                                                             U88"b
                                                           ',Y[Ib(]d'
                                                    _o,'poP[P', \[[```
                                                  ,P' : , 2'Y `]bY']:doY
            _._.                               , ',.`[d,`P ubY P=o8Yb'
   "=,'V[['Y/`]P/=p._                     ]bo/F[   ;b'.h`-P P'    "YP
      `  u`,,,L-u__. `''   >        _,oo`Y)[ .     ' .8)`''
         ` YP'\bp  oHYYYPYdPA=pPP`"''''-`'`] ' , ,, .]
          Y8YY"d8b=ZYO'Y8b                  `` '>-   i
           Y[O[b dP'88.J,P                   Y  [ ;'`[
           `U'p\ L'd8P8bb[                    [.Y_Y,',
            ][Y [.Adb b h[                     .iY[,:,
            , `Y'' dPH``F[                     ` v'`. '
             U[]'v,d8YY]L'                    __[<d..\]
             < [[ Y]bVZT.           _o-/-'`'''-pbu  ,i`'
             ]P] ,Y6Yb8'    _--v `'  '   .,,o=P' -,'\d]]
       -- - -dY=:8;Y"|[v->'| ' .u.u6\PP P\I': -P ' " `L .
       ., `-o`--oo-''' ZdodY=Y"'`''-- ->  -           `-'
          '`P'-              '`'  '

Hi Everyone,

Elides Rivera, is a member of the Teribe people and lives in Térraba, a
legally declared territory in the Southern Zone of Costa Rica. She has
been given the opportunity to represent her community in front of the
Human Rights Commission (COMISION INTERAMERICANA DE DERECHOS HUMANOS
–CIDH) on March 1, 2005 in Washington, DC.

Térraba, the territory where she lives along with three other
indigenous territories in Costa Rica’s Southern Zone is being
threatened by the construction of a dam.  Elides is a longtime leader
in her community.  She is the first indigenous person to have been
elected to serve as municipal delegate in her province.  She
successfully fought for transportation for the communities’ students so
that they could finally attend high school in the main town a forty
minute bus ride away; she has been a community educator; she has worked
with women in her community and other territories to confront domestic
violence and to develop income generation projects to help
women/mothers gain some financial independence.  My sister and I helped
produce a video, which was largely filmed by youths in the community.

Thank you to all those who made Elides' participation at the OAS
possible!

http://www.cidh.org/Comunicados/English/2005/8.05.htm
http://www.cidh.oas.org/Comunicados/English/2005/7.05eng.htm

She is now in New York City, and we have been kindly given the space at
the Cafe 7 Lounge in Inwood on Sunday March 20 from 4:00 to 7:00 pm. We
will show the video produced in Térraba, largely directed by Elides and
filmed by youths in the community.  It highlights the position of
various community members of different ages regarding the Boruca
mega-dam project threatening six territories in Costa Rica's Southern
Zone.  Elides will also talk about her experience in the indigenous
movement and her work in the municipal government.

This Sunday 3/20 between 4 and 7 pm.  We will probably start around
4:30 to allow people to trickle in and mingle. Please join us!

@ Cafe 7 Lounge
an Inwood Coffee House
4710 Broadway
New York