[spectre] head in the clouds and Fresh Azan

shahram entekhabi sh at entekhabi.org
Tue Nov 8 11:56:14 CET 2005

Dear friends,

here is some info about new activities! Welcome!

Best,
Shahram Entekhabi

Exhibition
Brandenburgischer Kunstverein Potsdam
Luisenforum, Brandenburgerstr. 5, 14467 Potsdam
www.brandenburgischerkunstverein.de

Modell 'Verpaßte Gelegenheit - Symptome der Überforderung". (Model
"Missed Opportunities - Symptoms of Strain“)
Opening: Saturday, November 12th, 2005, 7:30 pm
Duration + opening hours: November 13 – December 18 2005, tue – sun
12 – 6 pm
Curator: Sabine Winkler

Within the context of the exhibition Model "Missed Opportunities -
Symptoms of Strain“, I developed the project “head in the clouds”
focussing the failure of the large-scale CargoLifter Project in the
land of Brandenburg. “head in the clouds” will be shown both in the
exhibition and in the newspapers “Neues Deutschland” and “Junge Welt”.
I acquainted 470 stocks of the CargoLifter stock corporation – as a
metaphor for missed opportunities in the German context. The amount
of stocks mirrors the number of people who lost their jobs in the
last days of existence of the CargoLifter project. The 470 stocks
become the basis for folding paper planes which will be exhibited in
the Brandenburg Kunstverein. In the newspapers “Neues Deutschland”
and “Junge Welt” as well as the internet and some smaller local
papers I published an image of the Cargo Lifter stock and invited the
general public to cut out the stock and send it in the shape of a
folded paper plane to the Kunstverein to become part of my
installation. Even before the opening, we received more that 200
folded stocks.

Participants: Silvia Beck, Shahram Entekhabi, Susanne Hanus,
Katharina Hohmann/Stefan Dornbusch, Kai Kajlo, Anne König/Axel
Doßmann/Jan Wenzel, Ruth Mader, Michaela Schweiger, Judith Siegmund,
Gregg Smith, Hito Steyerl, Sarah Tripp, Frank Westermeyer and Sylvie
Boisseau

Screening
Kunsthalle Düsseldorf
Grabbeplatz 4, D-40213 Düsseldorf
www.kunsthalle-duesseldorf.de

Saturday, November 19th and Saturday, November 26th, 2005, 5 – 7 pm
Film program (selected by Anny and Sibel Oztürk)

Within the context of their solo exhibition “Lido” at Kunsthalle
Duesseldorf, Anny and Sibel Öztürk invited several artists to present
their films, performances or audio pieces in the exhibition. My work
“Fresh Azan” ist shown within this context during the film program on
November 19th and 26th, 2005.

“Azan” is the Muslim call to prayer, cried several times a day by the
muezzin of the minaret, beckoning believers to prayer in the mosque.
The Azan is also used by devout Muslims when celebrating birth, in
which case the call is whispered – as a rule, through a mullah –
three times into the right and left ear. From that moment on, the
newborn child belongs to the religious community. In the work Fresh
Azan, a woman shrouded in a tschador appears on the balcony of a
multistory apartment building, and sings a German-language version of
the Azan. While her cries echo over the rooftops of the surrounding
houses, catching the attention of passers-by, her call to prayer is
accompanied by a male voice that whispers the Azan in Arabic.

Participants of the film program: Paola Anziche, Aysun Bademsoy,
Christoph Blum, Sunah Choi, Ayse Erkmen, Shahram Entekhabi, Jeanne
Faust, Masaki Fujihata, Rainer Ganahl, Tamara Grcic, Wiebke Groesch/
Frank Metzger, Özlem Günyol/Mustafa Kunt, Laura Horelli, Marko
Lehanky, Sandra Mann, Takagi Masakatsu, Ayse Polat, Barak Reise,
Adrai Willioams, Jun Yang among others

Lido
A Project by Anny and Sibel Öztürk, as a part of »Der neue
Orient« (The New Orient)

Opening: Saturday, 12th November 2005, 8 pm
Duration and opening hours: 13th-27th November 2005

shahram entekhabi
url: www.entekhabi.org
mailto: sh at entekhabi.org

-