[spectre] Introducing: Upgrade! Amsterdam 0.0: THOU SHALT NOT UPGRADE!

nat muller nat at xs4all.nl
Tue Apr 4 18:19:05 CEST 2006

*********
Upgrade! Amsterdam 0.0: THOU SHALT NOT UPGRADE!

When: April 19 2006 || 20.30 hours
Where: De Melkweg, Theaterzaal, Lijnbaansgracht 234 A, Amsterdam

| free admission | | cocktails | | T-shirts |

*********

|| Proud to present: Upgrade Amsterdam! || Kick-off

| Thou Shalt Not Upgrade! |

An upgrade generally implies technological improvement and progress.
However, technological history is also one of choices, determined by
contextual factors.
What do we win and what do we lose with our current obsession with
upgrading? What are its wider cultural implications? What does it mean
for art, design and our worldview? Are there things sacrosanct, one
should not touch: Thou Shalt Not Upgrade?

Guests:
| Max Bruinsma |
Is an independent design critic, editor, curator and editorial designer.
http://www.maxbruinsma.nl/

| Taco Stolk |
Conceptual artist and head of the ExtraFaculty (xFac) of the Royal
Academy of Art in The Hague.
http://www.wlfr.nl/

Performative intervention by:
| Aart Muis | and his | BrainClone |
http://www.aartcore.com
--
Upgrade! Amsterdam is a series of gatherings for and by new media
aficionados, artists, geeks, media makers and breakers, and the

Send ideas and proposals to nat at xs4all.nl | lucas at melkweg.nl

Upgrade! is an international, emerging network of autonomous nodes
united by art, technology, and a commitment to bridging cultural
divides. Since April 1999, a group of new media artists and curators
have gathered in New York City. The first meeting took place at a bar
in the east village with Tim Whidden & Mark River [MTAA], Mark Napier
and Upgrade! founder Yael Kanarek.