[spectre] Exhibition "I love you [rev.eng]" in Belgrade

jaromil jaromil at dyne.org
Mon Jul 10 18:58:46 CEST 2006

Exhibition "I love you [rev.eng]"
Author:  digitalcraft, Kulturb?ro Frankfurt, Germany

Belgrade, 11.07. - 24.07.2006
Salon of Museum of Contemporary Art Belgrade, Pariska 14

Opening of the exhibition:
20:00h, 22.06.2006.
Salon of Museum of Contemporary Art Belgrade, Pariska 14

Producer:
New Media Center_kuda.org, Novi Sad (www.kuda.org)

Coproducers:
BELEF 06 (www.belef.org)
Museum of Contemporary Art Novi Sad (www.msluns.org.yu)
Museum of Contemporary Art Belgrade (www.msub.org.yu)

"I love you [rev.eng]" is the first exhibition worldwide dedicated to
the phenomena of computer viruses. In a networked society, dealing with
computer viruses, worms, or so-called "blended threats", has become part
of everyday life. "I love you [rev.eng]" is an experiment that
challenges contemporary culture and goes beyond current debates on
hacking, presenting viruses as destructive force and economic threat as
well as an inspiration for art and digital culture.

"I love you [rev.eng]" is divided into four investigative areas -
cultural, political, technical, and historical, and focuses on the
divergent positions of security experts and hackers, net artists and
programmers, and literature experts and code poets. The exhibition
examines: What actually is a computer virus? Who creates them, and why?
What sort of world is hiding behind these everyday phenomena?

One of the main focal points lies upon the knowledge transfer to the
audience. The exhibition aims to enable visitors to gain a broad
understanding of the phenomenon of computer viruses and to give an idea
about the many layered interrelations. The show presents hands-on
terminals, interactive installations and a broad range of didactic
material. One terminal displays approximately 40 interviews with virus
writers. Visitors have the option to read or listen with headphones to
the interviews as audio files.

"I love you [rev.eng]" is the revamped and expanded version of the
initial exhibition which was successfully shown in June 2002 in the
Museum for Applied Art in Frankfurt, in February 2003 at the
"transmediale.03" in Berlin, in August 2004 at the Watson Institute of
the Brown University USA and in October 2004 at the Museum for
Communication Copenhagen, Denmark.

Exibition is generally supported by Executive Council of Autonomous
Province of Vojvodina.

digitalcraft.org was founded in 2003 as a spin-off of the digitalcraft
section of the Museum for Applied Art in Frankfurt am Main (2000-2003).
Its mission is to research and document fast-moving trends in everyday
digital culture and to present them to the public. The subjects it
explores reflect the rapid development in communications technologies
and methods and their significance for modern society.

www.kuda.org/iloveyou
www.digitalcraft.org/iloveyou
www.belef.org
www.msub.org.yu