[spectre] Conflicting Shoes

aha at aharonic.net aha at aharonic.net
Fri Jul 28 10:39:59 CEST 2006

Dear list,

Today,  I will fly into what is practically a conflict zone. As you might
imagine, for some time now, I have been agonising on whether I should or
shouldn't go – and if I do go, how to be once I am there.
The basic arguments to go are of personal, family, nature.

However, I feel determined to do something once I am there.  (..hence, how
to be there..) “There” being Israel. What can I do? Nothing to change the
particular situation, off-course. But maybe something can be done via
myself that opens up a certain way for new meanings to emerge. Following
the recent threads on the list regarding the current out burst of deadly
criminal atrocities between palestinians, hezbolla (the party of god) and
what might be called “hezb-al-yahood” (the party of jews, otherwise known
as the state of israel) to name a few - I thought that this practice I am
about to talk about – might interest some people..

Conflicting shoes is, on the face of it, a practice of creativity with
shoes in conflict areas. The initial suggestion is to send shoes to an
address in conflict  zones where the person who receives the shoes place
the shoes in a public place – so that people could , for instance, put
their feet in.
For example, Joe sends a shoe or 2 to Jessica, and she might hammer the
shoe/s onto a pavement in, say, Mogadishu.. Joe and Jessica, might off
course, elaborate on that..

For example, worn shoes bare the result of being between your body/feet
and where ever you've been to with them. They bare signs of your weight,
the way you move, and the conflicting pressures between yourself, the
shoe's material/s and the places/surfaces your been through..
Maybe worn shoes in conflict zones might remind some war photographs..
Maybe placing shoes in public areas can point to the notion of walking in
someone else's shoes..

To begin with, there's obviously, only myself and how I see this practice
going – however what I am about to suggest is only a starting point – or
points rather..

So here's the deal:
I intend to stick, glue or cement, used shoes in places I'll be in Israel.
I could just pick a few of my own old shoes and do that, however, I
think/feel that such a thing will be too personal in a practice that is,
for me, anything but self exploration.
Therefore, this is an invitation to practice this together. Currently, I
think the possibilities are:
a. Maybe you'd like to join the forum at:
http://conflictingshoes.aharonic.net/ .

b. Maybe you'd want to pick up an old shoe or two and send it . Use your
imagination as to how you'd like your shoe/s to be placed, maybe the kind
of environment, maybe your wand to write something on it, maybe you'd just
rather leave a clean soc in one and an old smelly one in another..

I'll try best I can to do as you suggest - if possible..

I intend to take photos of conflicting shoes placed - however, it might be
that I'll use a different way of reflection..

Note that I'll be in Israel until the 15th, so if you do send something it
should come at least 3 or 4 days before that date.. (15.08.06)

Name and address to send shoes to:
ron peretz
13 kikar haganim
beer sheva
84844
p.b. 7310
Israel

c. Maybe you are in a different conflict zone and want people to send
shoes to you..

I can't think now of other possibilities - but am sure there are.. Maybe
the forum, http://conflictingshoes.aharonic.net/ , can be used for that...

The notion for this practice has developed  in me within the last week. I
have made a fair few text versions of this, because I was searching for a
way to write about it which will feel “right” - so to speak...  Not that I
am without any critique about this version... The aim is to present
conflicting shoes as a practice, a cultural technology, of which each
practitioner is a creator, an educator, and hopefully – having fun.

Best of wishes!

Aharon