[spectre] Conflicting Shoes

nat muller nat at xs4all.nl
Fri Jul 28 18:56:19 CEST 2006

dear aharon,

first of all, i don't wish to be disrespectful in any way...knowing
well how reactions on mailing lists can deteriorate into self-righteous
and non-constructive replies.  however, just coming back from beirut,
and with the memory and shock of carnage and destruction still all too
fresh, i am mostly bothered by 2 things:

with about 800.000 refugees and displaced people in lebanon (that's
almost 1/4th of the lebanese population!); many refugees don't even
have shoes to wear, let alone other *basics*. i suspect this is the
case in many other *conflict zones*.

your last sentence: * The aim is to present conflicting shoes as a
practice, a cultural technology, of which each practitioner is a
creator, an educator, and hopefully – having fun*, just strikes a tone
which is far too light and frivolous to voice critique on the current
situation: forgive me, but i fail to see any fun whatsoever in the
hopeless spiral of violence envelopping the middle-east and the
relentless killing of civilians.

i would be happy to continue this discussion further with you off-list.

my best_

nat