[spectre] CFP: Future Histories of the Moving Image, Nov 2007

Andreas Broeckmann ab at tesla-berlin.de
Fri Jun 1 17:49:08 CEST 2007

Future Histories of the Moving Image

An international conference to be held at University of Sunderland

16-18 November 2007

**** Due to growing interest and new confirmed speakers we have ****

extended the submission deadline: 30 June 2007

Keynote Speakers: Professor Patricia Zimmermann (Ithaca College, New
York), and Holly Aylett (Vertigo Magazine and Independent Film
Parliament, UK)

As is now widely acknowledged, with the advent of digital technology
the nature of moving image production, distribution and exhibition
has changed dramatically. In particular, a rapidly increasing number
of people are now accessing an increasing volume and range of moving
image material online. This technology is also changing the way in
which we analyse and document current and historical moving image
practices, as there has been a recent proliferation of digital
archive and database projects relating to film, video and television
practices. It is timely therefore to examine the changing ways in
which we are circulating and interrogating all areas of our moving
image culture.
We would particularly welcome papers that address the following areas:

- What impact does the increasing reliance on database resources have
on the nature of the histories we produce and write?

- History as database vs history as narrative.

- Implications of the proliferation of online critical writing (from
refereed academic journals through to personal blogs) and its
dissemination, with the blurring of the traditional distinction
between professional and amateur writer.

- The role and implication of immediate online distribution/exhibition of works

- What impact is digital distribution having on theatrical exhibition?

- Issues arising from the perceived need on the part of major
producers/broadcasters to develop content for multiple platforms.

- The implications of multiple producers being able to disseminate a
wide range of material to multiple niche audiences (giving the idea
of 'narrowcasting' a new meaning).

- Revival/development of found footage production practices with the
availability of digital archives such as Library of Congress Internet
Archive (including the Prelinger Archive) and BBC Open Archive
initiative.

- Questions relating to the increasing accessibility online of moving
image material in relation to intellectual property and the
development of the Creative Commons copyright licence.

- The creative influence of database logic on film structure.

The conference will also host an open workshop - with participation
by the Arts Council England, the Tate, the British Film Institute,
Marcel Schwierin (Cinovid Database, Germany) and Gaby Wijers
(Netherlands Media Art Institute, Montevideo/Time Based Arts) - which
will address the issues of securing the sustainability and maximising
the use/visibility of the growing number of film and video
database/online research resources. The workshop is funded by the
AHRC Networks and Workshops Scheme.
Check out our blog regularly for latest news:
myblogs.sunderland.ac.uk/blogs/futurehistories/
Please send proposals of 200-300 words for papers of approx. 20
minutes, together with a brief biographical note by 30 June 2007 to
the conference organisers (Steven Ball, Julia Knight and Stephen
Partridge) at
<mailto:futurehistories at sunderland.ac.uk>futurehistories at sunderland.ac.uk
Future Histories of the Moving Image is a joint conference organised
by the University of Sunderland, the British Artists' Film and Video
Study Collection (University of the Arts, London) and the Visual
Research Centre REWIND project DJCAD at the University of Dundee, in
collaboration with Convergence: The International Journal of Research
into New Media Technologies. All papers delivered at the conference
will be considered for publication in the journal.

----------------
Julia Knight
Reader in Moving Image/Co-editor, Convergence
School of Arts, Design, Media & Culture
University of Sunderland
Media Building
The Sir Tom Cowie Campus at St Peter's
St Peter's Way
Sunderland. SR6 0DD
Tel: 0191 515 2653 (direct line)
Tel: 0191 515 2634 (switchboard)
Fax: 0191 515 3807
email: <mailto:julia.knight at sunderland.ac.uk>julia.knight at sunderland.ac.uk
************
***Please note NEW author-date style for Convergence**
see
<http://www.beds.ac.uk/convergence/callforpapers/instructions>www.beds.ac.uk/convergence/callforpapers/instructions

Convergence: The Journal of Research into New Media Technologies
Editors: Julia Knight and Alexis Weedon
Editorial assistant: Jason Wilson
Associate editors: Jeanette Steemers (Europe), Rebecca Coyle (Western
Pacific), Amy Bruckman and Jane Singer (North America)
Published quarterley. ISSN 1354-8564
Copyright of Convergence articles rests with the publisher
Editorial e-mail: <mailto:Convergence at beds.ac.uk>Convergence at beds.ac.uk
Editorial website:
<http://www.beds.ac.uk/convergence>www.beds.ac.uk/convergence
SAGE <http://con.sagepub.com>http://con.sagepub.com