[spectre] CALL For Photographs: 3rd Effect issue 4

Martin John Callanan m.callanan at ucl.ac.uk
Fri Jun 1 22:02:50 CEST 2007

CALL For Photographs: 3rd Effect issue 4
http://www.3rdeffect.net

[please distribute widely]

I have been asked to edit issue number four of 3rd Effect. My editorial
approach will alter from the previous issue. 120 photographs will be
required. The website will display a new pair of photographs each time it is
viewed; randomly selected from the collection of 120; a new random pair each
time.

Issue 2 was edited by the Visual Studies Workshop, Rochester, NY. Issue 1
and 3 by Birmingham Institute of Art and Design, UK.

The 'third effect' is what happens when any two photographs are juxtaposed -
without captions, titles or any other textual clues.

We read meaning into each photograph individually. But we also read a third
meaning into the fact that they have been juxtaposed. This third meaning is
highly subjective, shifting and enigmatic. It is an extension of what
Barthes termed the "obtuse" meaning in all photographs.

The bigger the 'gap' between the photographs [subject matter, source, genre,
time etc] the greater the third effect.

www.3rdeffect.net is an online artwork / fanzine / research archive
dedicated to exploring this phenomenon - the outcome of an expanding network
of contributors.

You may submit your original or found photographs in jpeg format to
3rd at greyisgood.eu

We are interested in photographs not images.

By submitting you acknowledge you hold the copyright or have permission for
the photographs to be included in 3rd Effect issue 4. Found images may be
covered by certain exclusions - please seek advice on this, or any other
query, at the same address 3rd at greyisgood.eu

Martin John Callanan
http://greyisgood.eu
http://www.3rdeffect.net