[spectre] Looking for Thai video artist/fim-maker...

Inke Arns inke.arns at hmkv.de
Mon Jul 21 11:01:15 CEST 2008

Dear friends,

Patrice Ladwig is a friend of mine who's looking
for a video artist / film maker in Thailand to
work with ...

Perhaps somebody on this list can help ...

Many greetings,
Inke

+++++++++

>Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 14:31:00 +0200
>From: "Patrice Ladwig" <Patrice at gmx.com>
>To: Inke Arns <inke.arns at hmkv.de>
>
>Dear all,
>
>my name is Patrice Ladwig and I work at the
>University of Bristol. We are involved in a
>project on "Buddhist death rituals" which also
>entails the visual documentation of funeral
>related rituals. Last year we have done a movie
>on Laos, and this year I am going to be based in
>Chiang Mai (August-October).
>
>We are looking for a video artist/film-maker who
>would like to work with us on this project. In
>the attachment you find all necessary details.
>In case you know someone who could suit the job
>and would be interested, please forward the
>email and the attachment.
>
>I will be in Chiang Mai from August to October,
>and also be on Bangkok for a few days. In case
>you need further information or want to meet in
>BKK or Chiang Mai, please let me know.
>
>With best wishes,
>
>Patrice
>
>--
>--
>  ><((((º>`·.zz.·Z¯`·.z><((((º>`·
>
>Patrice Ladwig, PhD
>University of Bristol
>Theology and Religious Studies
>3 Woodland Road, Bristol BS8 1TB
>England

++++++++

Looking for a Thai video artist/student of visual arts:
Short documentary and video collage on Buddhist death rituals (Chiang Mai)

The Department of Religious Studies at the
University of Bristol is carrying out a
comparative
project on Buddhist death rituals of Southeast
Asia and China. The project also involves the
visual
documentation of funerary rites. Last year we
filmed two rituals in Laos, which dealt with the
transfer of merit and objects to the vinyan of
the dead, peta and various other spirits. This
year the
project involves fieldwork in Chiang Mai (August
to October 2008) and we are intending to film
a complete sequence of a funeral rite (house,
procession, cremation in the temple, bone
collection...). The idea is that we first film as
much material as possible and then process the
data
in two ways:

1.   Produce a 30 min film that is more
documentary-oriented and should serve as
ethnographic
teaching material for students in the UK and
elsewhere. Some editing will be necessary (Final
Cut
Pro etc.), but it is not intended for
professional purposes or public screenings.
2.   Produce a more art-oriented video collage
(20-30 min) that mixes documentary features with
video art and sound. The format is here quite
open, but should be geared towards a culturally
and
artistically interested public that wants to know
something about Buddhist funeral rites. The film
is going to be screened (on TV-sets and large
screen) during an exhibition on 'Death rituals in
Buddhism' at various locations in the UK and
Germany. It could also be distributed on DVD to
interested people and institutions, or - in case
it feasible - shown at anthropological film
festivals.

The project has a budget for hiring the equipment
(high amateur to low professional standard),
cameramen, recording engineer and the
cutting/editing of the movie. The filming itself
will take
approx. 2-3 days and should be carried out in
Chiang Mai as the project is based there,
although -
if appropriate and feasible - Bangkok would also
be an option. We look for a Thai person who
has an interest in the project, has experience
with filming and can put together such a crew, is
capable of doing the editing him/herself and is
willing to develop ideas concerning format and
the appropriate location. A student or teacher of
visual arts/multimedia art who has experience
in documentary filming and more abstract video
art would for example be suited for the job.
Communication with the project members concerning
content and format is crucial, although the
final product is largely the employee's own
responsibility. We would either have to
communicate
in English, Lao/Isan or German. The project
budget is modest, but we can compensate the
employee's efforts appropriately (subject to
negotiation). As long the funding source of the
project is acknowledged, the film can also be
used for other purposes (final project at School
of
Fine Arts etc.) and presented outside the immediate project context.

I will be in Chiang Mai from August to October.
In case you are interested or know someone
else, please forward this message or contact me via email: patrice at gmx.com or
Patrice.Ladwig at bristol.co.uk

Thanks very much!

++++++++

--

Dr. Inke Arns
Künstlerische Leiterin / Artistic Director

Anna Kournikova Deleted By Memeright Trusted System -
Kunst im Zeitalter des Geistigen Eigentums
Art in the Age of Intellectual Property
HMKV at PHOENIX Halle Dortmund
19 July - 19 October 2008