[spectre] Call for participation : "Bangalore : a Subjective Cartography" at "Mutations III" during the European Month of Photography 2010-2011

ewen at no-log.org ewen at no-log.org
Tue Jul 20 19:16:47 CEST 2010

"Bangalore : a Subjective Cartography" at "Mutations III" during the
European Month of Photography 2010-2011

http://bangalore.metamap.fr
Call for participation !

http://90plan.ovh.net/~europeandq/

http://emop-org.blogspot.com

>From september 2010 to april 2011, the web-based project "Bangalore : a
Subjective Cartography" will be presented in the section "Mutations III :
photography and networks" during the European Month of Photography. The
exhibition will be presented in major museums of photography in Rome,
Berlin, Bratislava, Luxembourg and Paris.

Venues :

Palazzo delle Esposizioni, Rome : http://www.fotografiafestival.it/

Berlinische Galerie, Berlin : http://www.mdf-berlin.de/

Bast'Art, Bratislava : http://www.sedf.sk

Mudam Luxembourg : http://www.emoplux.lu/

Maison européenne de la photographie, Paris : http://www.mep-fr.org

We're looking for Bangalore based artists (or artists who visited
Bangalore or Srishti school), photographers and art organisations to
contribute to a web based map that will display various multimedia
contents.

The touring exhibition project follows a workshop organised in november
2009 at CEMA (Center for Experimental Media Arts), a lab at Srishti school
of art, design and technology in Bangalore (India).

http://cema.srishti.ac.in

If you want to contribute with your contents, please contact Ewen
Chardronnet (e.chardronnet at gmail.com) or Benjamin Cadon
(benjamin at labomedia.net).

Metamap.fr‭ is a web application developed by Labomedia.org software
developers. It proposes a digital space where users can geo-localise
multimedia contributions (photos, videos, sounds, texts, information
flows, GPS tracks, etc.) to offer their perception of a territory.

The “Subjective Cartography” project developed by Benjamin Cadon and Ewen
Chardronnet deepen the use of the web application in a more artistic way.
The artists believe that using these new media tools by combining them to
the subjective exploration of urban territories, reflect the contributive
logic of contemporary mapping&social online medias and give a multimedia
interpretation of very personal way of exploring a city, in the tradition
of the flaneur, the derive, the psychogeography and walk-art in general.

For the European Month of Photography (EMOP) – Mutations III, a dedicated
version will be developed by Benjamin Cadon and Ewen Chardronnet,
presenting numerous subjective and photographic explorations of the
social, anthropological and urbanistic transformations of Bangalore.

Metamap is a powerful tool to create and edit thematic multimedia maps,
giving the opportunity to invent new kinds of narrative or documentary
works. The organisation of the materials that constitute a thematic sight
through one or several maps allow any web user to easily “watch” this
creation in an interactive geolocalised mode, going from one content to
another in function of the order chosen by the creator. It constitute an
original mode to valorize and expose an individual or collective work.
Benjamin Cadon and Ewen Chardronnet want to organise a dynamic process
through a “call for participation” allowing several contributors to
present their work online and during the festival's exhibitions.

In the exhibitions, the project will be presented in a set up of variable
dimensions with the possible following elements :

    *

      display on a big screen of various photographic explorations in
automatic mode
    *

      exhibition of a serie of printed photographies selected on the map
    *

      video monitor presenting a selection of videos selected on the map
    *

      headphones to listen sounds collected by participants and displayed
on the map

>From a general point of view, MeTaMap‭ web application ‬is
proposing a digital space for exchange, expression and exhibition,
‬to constitute an area for experimentation,‭ ‬to imagine
what a public space of the future could be. Based on the principle of
mash-up,‭ ‬the project has several dimensions‭
‬:‭ ‬a place for showing and sharing geolocalised
multimedia content,‭ ‬a place crossroads of other social and
cultural networks and connected to the real world through various
interfaces

Thus,‭ ‬every registered person can geo-localise multimedia
contributions in order to deliver his or her perception of the
area,‭ ‬relate an experience,‭ ‬a moment,‭
‬share reflexions on the social and cultural environment.‭
‬Users can then take a tour across this map,‭ ‬where all
the contributions are represented by a pictogram which when
clicked,‭ ‬reveal multimedia content,‭ ‬which has
been annoted,‭ ‬or commented on by others.‭ ‬In
this way it is possible to‭ ‬visit and experience a district
or a city through the eyes and ears of other people,‭ ‬or
review the content in a more classic way via photos,‭
‬galleries,‭ ‬mini networks webtv,‭
‬personal or collective micro-blogs.

The “mash-up” technique could also be used to integrate materials from the
web, it consist of a combination of several web applications or services
assembled to produce text, audio or video content as in a mecano game :
researches mixing geographical and semantical approach, grabbing
infomations from RSS flux or tweets, streaming real time audio or video on
the map, ... This approach is also a good way to consider several hi-tech
web applications that can be used for many purposes.

The web application Metamap.fr is developed by Labomedia.org in Orleans (Fr).

The project follows a workshop organised at CEMA lab of Srishti school of
art, design and technology in november 2009.

Artists of the Spectral Investigations Collective :

Ewen Chardronnet (Fr) ; Benjamin Cadon (Fr) ; Alexander Römer (De) ;
Loreto Martinez Troncoso (Es) ; Hélène Chaudeau (Fr) ; Gepeto Girault (Fr)

In collaboration with the students and faculty advisors of Bangalore
Srishti art school :

The students :

Neha Bhat ; Saumitra Shrikant Chandratreya ; Alisha Panjwani ; Namrata
Mehta ; Ankitha Chandrakanth Uchil ; Sunayana Shankar ; Malovika Banerjee
; Sowmya Swaminathan ; Saema Husain ; Gautam Vishwanath ; Mimansa Sahay ;
Aliya Pabani ; Spriha Chokhani ; Rashmi Sirkar ; Gourav Madhogaria ;
Sayantoni Palchoudhuri ; Meghma Mitra

The faculty advisors at Srishti :

Vasanthi Dass ; Ayisha Abraham ; Meena Vari

Curating and coordination : Eve Lemesle (Fr) and Meena Vari (In)

Organised by Labomedia (Orléans) with Srishti (Bangalore) with the support
of Région Centre and the Alliance Française of Bangalore.