[spectre] Call for participants: E-textiles and alternative energy

Hillevi Munthe hillevi at anart.no
Tue May 4 13:58:02 CEST 2010

------
Worklab: Interactive textiles and how textiles visualise the environment
and power my mobile.
June 1 - 4, Atelier Nord, Oslo by Diffus.dk
------
In addition to the project group of invited textile and media artists,
there are three spaces available for other participants.  Experience with
e-textiles or programming is required
Please apply by using the form at www.ateliernord.no.
Application deadline: 15 May 2010.
-------

The theme of the worklab is interactive textiles, soft circuits and
alternative energy.
We will investigate different kinds of textile conductive techniques, use
of photovoltaic materials and Arduino Lilypads. The final result will be a
group project presented to the public, making an environmental statement
with alternative use of solar cells, LEDs, optical fibres, thermocromic
ink or other materials that offers an interactive approach to textiles.

We are working from the point of view that what you see is what you get.
Electronics and circuits are not hidden, but becomes a crucial part of the
expression and the aesthetics. There has always to some degree been
alienation in the relation between man and technology - on the other hand
textiles are the most integrated material in our everyday life. What
happens when new technology gets integrated with the well-known textiles?
Our everyday use of textiles combined with our everyday need for
electronic devices to guide and amuse us will be the essential starting
point of the workshop, theoretically as well as practically.

The worklab is a part of the e-textile project Soft Technology at Atelier
Nord. The project is supported by the Norwegian Arts Council and Nordic
Culture Point.

Diffus is a design company, working with theoretical and practical
approach towards art, design, architecture and new media.