[spectre] transmediale 2012: in/compatible,Thematic Call for Works and Vilém Flusser Residency Programme 2012

Markus Huber mh at transmediale.de
Wed Jun 22 18:13:27 CEST 2011

transmediale 2012: in/compatible
Thematic Call for Works and Vilém Flusser Residency Programme 2012

Deadline: 31 August 2011

TRANSMEDIALE THEMATIC CALL FOR WORKS 2012

The 2012 edition of transmediale takes place in the Haus der Kulturen
der Welt, 31 January -- 5 February 2012 exploring the theme of
in/compatible. tm.12 postulates that incompatible beings drive the logic
of contemporary cultural production. We understand in/compatible beings
as aesthetic things and processes that do not necessarily connect on the
terms we are used to. The festival wants to raise the question of what
happens when such incompatible beings are brought to the fore rather
than hidden away in the dark underbelly of digital culture?

With this conceptual framework we are looking for artistic works in any
genre and format that either explicitly or in more subtle ways engage
the incompatible and uneasy nature of contemporary technological
cultures. We imagine that these works rather than anticipating
resolution, address, accentuate and invest in the unresolved tensions
across translocal media practices and systems. In particular we are
calling for works that take us by surprise by not quite "fitting in".

The selected works will form part of our extensive exhibition,
screening, performance and conference programme. Projects may also be
entered for the Vilém Flusser Residency Programme (formerly Award),
taking the form of a 2 month artistic research residency jointly run by
tm and Universität der Künste in Berlin.

Works taken into consideration for the program can be related to the
following keywords and areas:
Dissensual aesthetics, hacktivism, operating systems, speculative
realisms, queer technologies, strange ontologies, displacements,
ecologies, psychedelia(s), glitches, spam, media-archaeologies,
technological obsolescence, haunted media, reverse remediations, the
untimely, erotics, ambivalences, tools, law, anxieties, confusions,
violence, obscurities, junk, addictions, restlessness,
user-unfriendliness, destructions, attractions, surveillance, accidents,
dysfunctionality, isolation, punk, feedback as distortion, surrealisms,
aggressiveness, the uncommon, frustrations, spiritualities, risks,
dubious calculations, psychosis, uneven structures, crimes.

Read about the full conceptual framework, the application procedure and
the Conditions of Entry:
http://www.transmediale.de/festival/call-for-works

VILÉM FLUSSER RESIDENCY PROGRAMME 2012
The newly organised Vilém Flusser Residency Programme supports projects
and activities which are simultaneously conceptual and practice-based.
The programme is geared towards the initiation of new research or to the
further development of existing projects. This is not a production grant
and while a public presentation/event will be expected, there is no
pressure to present finished works. Where applicable, the support of
publications, exhibitions, interventions and other results of the
residency may be negotiated on a project to project basis. Special
priority will be given to young and/or emerging artist-researchers.

We are calling upon artistic research to actively explore the
capabilities and limitations of transdisciplinary and transmedial
situations in contemporary culture and thus to understand artistic
research as exploring the links between aesthetics, materiality and
politics.

Read the full conceptual framework, about the application procedure and
the Conditions of Entry:
http://www.transmediale.de/award/vilem-flusser-award
Join the conversation on the transmediale IRC channel [server:
irc.freenode.net channel: #transmediale port: 6667]

transmediale is a project of the Kulturprojekte Berlin GmbH, in
cooperation with the House of World Cultures and funded by the German
Federal Cultural Foundation.

--

Markus Huber // programme manager
*in/compatible* // transmediale 2012, 31 jan-5 feb 2012 //

join the conversation on the transmediale IRC channel
<http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=transmediale>
// server: irc.freenode.net channel: #transmediale port: 6667

find us also on twitter <http://twitter.com/transmediale>, flickr
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/transmediale/sets/>, vimeo
<http://vimeo.com/transmediale> and... facebook
<http://www.facebook.com/transmediale>
transmediale | festival for art and digital culture
klosterstr. 68 10179 berlin, germany | fon +49 30 24749 761 | fax +49 30
24749 763
kulturprojekte berlin gmbh
aufsichtsratsvorsitzender volker heller | Geschäftsführer Moritz van Dülmen
amtsgericht berlin charlottenburg, HRB 41312 B