[spectre] Lighthouse to manage the BFI's Short Film Fund

Honor Harger honor at lighthouse.org.uk
Thu Jan 12 19:51:13 CET 2012

Dear spectres,

I hope 2012 has started well for you.  Here at
Lighthouse in Brighton, the year had begun with
some exciting news:
http://www.lighthouse.org.uk/news/exciting-new-lighthouse-programmes-for-2012

Today, we announced that Lighthouse has been
selected to manage the BFI's new short film fund.
The short film fund will enable up to twenty
short films to be commissioned in 2012, at
budgets ranging from £25,000 to £50,000 per film.
 Lighthouse, together with our partners, will
oversee the selection and executive production of
the films.

The, which launches this February, will sit
alongside Lighthouse's existing programmes of
digital art and moving image, and underscores our
commitment to commissioning new work by great
artists and filmmakers.

We're delighted to be working so closely with the
BFI, the UK's lead body for film, and look
forward to a great year.  There are more details
below.

Best wishes,

Honor Harger

Director
Lighthouse
<http://www.lighthouse.org.uk>http://www.lighthouse.org.uk

Email: <mailto:honor at lighthouse.org.uk>honor at lighthouse.org.uk
Tel: +44 1273 647197
Address: 28 Kensington Street, Brighton, BN1 4AJ, UK
Twitter: <http://twitter.com/LighthouseArts>http://twitter.com/LighthouseArts

Thursday 12 January 2012

LIGHTHOUSE TO MANAGE BFI FILM FUND SHORTS 2012

<http://www.lighthouse.org.uk/programme/lighthouse-to-manage-bfi-short-film-fund>http://www.lighthouse.org.uk/programme/lighthouse-to-manage-bfi-short-film-fund

Brighton-based digital culture agency,
Lighthouse, is delighted to have been selected to
manage the BFI Film Fund's new fund for short
film. The BFI is the lead body for film in the UK
with responsibility for championing emerging and
world-class filmmakers.

Lighthouse - who will work in partnership with
producer, Nicky Bentham of Neon Films and
independent development producer Becca Ellson -
was appointed as the manager of the BFI's
one-year short film fund, following an open call
in September 2011, to which 25 organisations
nationwide applied.

Lighthouse was selected in recognition of its
exceptional hands-on work with UK filmmakers, and
the successful delivery of schemes such as BBC
Drama Shorts and Guiding Lights, the UK's leading
film mentoring programme, which connects film
talent with some the industry's biggest names,
including Sam Mendes, Tim Bevan, Barbara Broccoli
and Kenneth Branagh.

This news follows recent significant achievements
and awards for the organisation, including the
presentation of ambitious works from
internationally recognised artist filmmakers
Kutlug Ataman and Lynette Wallworth for Brighton
Festival; the launch of new commissions in
association with the Cultural Olympiad; the
launch of Happenstance, a new collaboration with
Site Gallery, Sheffield and Spike Island,
Bristol; and the success of last year's Brighton
Digital Festival.

Honor Harger, Director of Lighthouse comments:
"As a digital culture agency that commissions
vibrant and inspirational work, which shows how
important artists and filmmakers are in our
changing media landscape, we are thrilled to be
managing a programme that will stimulate
outstanding new work. We are looking forward to
working with some of the UK's most promising
filmmakers, and exploring ways their work can
reach new audiences."

Chris Collins, BFI Film Fund Senior Executive
comments: "The team at Lighthouse have a strong
track record of working successfully with UK film
talent, helping to connect filmmakers with high
profile mentors and overseeing the development
and production of short films which have gone on
to garner BAFTA and Oscar® recognition. We're
delighted to announce their appointment as the
management company for Film Fund Shorts 2012 and
we're already excited to see the films and
filmmakers which will emerge from the scheme."

The BFI Film Fund's short film scheme will
support emerging filmmaking talent and provide
filmmakers with opportunities to demonstrate
their feature film potential. Up to twenty shorts
will be commissioned at budgets ranging from
£25,000 to £50,000 per film.

Emily Kyriakides, Programme Producer at
Lighthouse, will work in partnership with Nicky
Bentham, who co-produced Duncan Jones' BAFTA
award winning Moon, and Becca Ellson. Together,
they have credits on 28 short films and 43
feature films that have screened at festivals
including Sundance, Cannes, Tribeca, Edinburgh,
South By SouthWest and Venice. They have won
several prestigious awards including a BAFTA and
two BIFAs, and been nominated for many more,
including an Academy Award. Together, they will
oversee the selection and executive production of
the films supported through the scheme.

The short film fund, which launches this
February, will sit alongside Lighthouse's
existing programmes of digital art, film and
moving image, which include exhibitions,
commissions, screenings, performances, education
and events, which are presented locally in
Brighton, nationally and internationally.

--
Honor Harger

Director
Lighthouse
http://www.lighthouse.org.uk

Email: honor at lighthouse.org.uk
Twitter: http://twitter.com/LighthouseArts

Invisible Fields exhibition, Barcelona,  14
October 2011 - 4 March 2012
http://www.lighthouse.org.uk/programme/invisible-fields