[spectre] INTO ETERNITY by Michael Madsen at Aksioma Project Space, Ljubljana

Aksioma aksioma4 at siol.net
Mon Jan 23 16:26:04 CET 2012

Aksioma – Institute for Contemporary Art, Ljubljana, kindly invites you to:

*Michael Madsen*
/*INTO ETERNITY */
»A Film for the Future«
Documentary film (75 min, English)
_www.aksioma.org/into_eternity
<http://www.aksioma.org/into_eternity/index_slo.html>_

*A haunting non-fiction elegy about the threat of the apocalypse,
Michael Madsen's "Into Eternity" ponders
the future of nuclear waste and explorers the horrors of anticipating an
unpredictable future. *

*Aksioma **|**Project Space*
Komenskega 18, Ljubljana

_*Screenings:*_
26, 27, 31 January and 1 February 2012 at 7 pm

*Public interview with the author: 26 January 2012, after the screening*
*Interviewer: Mojca Kumerdej*

*Michael Madsen*
/*INTO ETERNITY*/

/Into Eternity/is an unique art work that deeply explores the
mind-boggling scientific and philosophical questions long-term nuclear
waste storage poses.
Structured as a message to future generations, the piece focuses on the
Onkalo waste repository now under construction in Finland, one of the
first underground storage facilities. Onkalo is a gigantic network of
tunnels being carved out of bedrock that will start receiving Finland’s
nuclear waste in 2020. Once the repository is full, in about 100 years,
it will be closed and hopefully remain sealed for at least 100,000 years.
/Into Eternity/takes viewers deep into the Onkalo facility as it is
being constructed and asks Onkalo representatives, scientists,
theologians and others to address fundamental but challenging questions.
How can our civilization know what the world will be like in 100,000
years? The first modern homo sapiens appeared about that long ago and no
human structure has survived more than 5000 years. How can we anticipate
climate and geologic changes that far in the future? What will life on
our planet be like then? How do we warn distant generations of the
deadly waste our civilization left behind? What languages or signs will
they understand? How do we prevent them from thinking they have located
the pyramids of our time or some other treasures?
With its stark, stylistic approach, the video work /Into Eternity/by the
Danish artist Michael Madsen not only raises questions about the
possibility of long-term nuclear waste storage, but also invites
reflection on the limits of science and human knowledge, along with our
responsibility to future generations.

*Awards (selection):*
- IDFA, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, IDFA Green Screen Award, November
28th 2010
- Sheffield, UK, Special mention Sheffield Green award, November 7th 2010
- FilmAmbiente - International Environmental Film Festival, Rio de
Janeiro, Brazil, Best International Feature Film, November 2011
- Baikal International Festival of Documentary, Irkutsk, Russia, Grand
Prix, October 2011
- Antenna International Documentary Film Festival, Sydney, Australia,
Best International Film, October 2011
More: _http://www.intoeternitythemovie.com/awards/_

*Director and Scriptwriter:*Michael Madsen
*Producer:*Lise Lense-Møller
*Editors:*Daniel Dencik, Stefan Sundlöf
*Director of Photography:*Heikki Färm F.S.C.
*Sound Design:*Nicolai Linck, Øivind Weingaarde
*Mix:*Tomas Arwe

*Production Company: *Magic Hour Films
More: _http://www.intoeternitythemovie.com/_

*Michael Madsen*. Born 1971 - conceptual artist and film director
founder and artistic leader of the Sound/Gallery, a 900 square meter
sound diffusion system underneath the Town Hall Square in Copenhagen,
Denmark (1996-2001).
Madsen has been guest lecturer at The Royal Danish Academy of Art, The
Danish Film School, and The Danish School of Design. As film director he
realized various documentaries among others the Award-winning‘To
Damascus – a Film on Interpretation’ (2005). Selected art projects
include: /Audience (van Gogh#7)/, design of SPOR 2007, festival for new
music and sound art; and /Public Service (van Gogh#6)//Phase 1/: Idea
and concept for a new music library in Odense, Denmark.

*Mojca Kumerdej*is a writer, philosopher and art critic. In 2001,
Študentska založba published her first book, the novel /Baptism Above
Triglav (Krst nad Triglavom)/, in which she ironically explores
Slovenian stereotypes and national mythology; in 2003, her book of short
prose /Fragma/was published in the Beletrina series, and in 2011 her
collection of short prose /Dark Matter (Temna snov)/. Her literature has
been translated into several foreigh languages. She has appeared at the
Frankfurt Book Fair, in Moscow, St Petersburg, and at the International
Book Fair in Guadalajara (Mexico); she has made guest appearances at
book fairs in Prague, Leipzig, Buenos Aires and in Hungary. In 2006, she
received the Crystal Vilenica award for her short story Below Surface
(Pod gladino) at the Vilenica International Literary Festival. Her work
/Fragma/has been interpreted in theatre, in the dance-theatrical
performance by Sonja Ožbolt, and in graduation-TV dramas by the students
of film directing at the Academy of Theatre, Radio, Film and Television,
for which the students received the Academy's Prešernova Awards.

*Production of the event: *Aksioma – Institute for Contemporary Art,
Ljubljana, 2012
_www.aksioma.org <http://www.aksioma.org/>_

Artistic director: Janez Janša
Executive producer: Marcela Okretič
Public relations: Mojca Zupanič
Technical support: Valter Udovičić
Assistant: Sonja Grdina

/*Supported by the Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Slovenia and
the Municipality*//*of Ljubljana.*/
/Sponsor: Datacenter d.o.o./

*Contact:*
Marcela Okretič, 041 250 830, aksioma4 at siol.net
*Aksioma | Institute for Contemporary Art, Ljubljana*
Neubergerjeva 25, 1000 Ljubljana
www.aksioma.org