[spectre] Ominous, new work for the Xth Sense at the 5th Live Electronic Music Competition, ECPNM, BE

Marco Donnarumma devel at thesaddj.com
Fri Nov 2 16:38:09 CET 2012

(sorry for x-post)

Dear all,

A novel piece for the Xth Sense [1], my visceral biophysical instrument,
was commissioned by ECPNM (European Conference of Promoters of New Music),
in occasion of the finals of the 5th Live Electronic Music Project
Competition, during the ISCM World New Music Days [2].

The new work, titled "Ominous", is ready to be premiered tomorrow at De
Singel concert hall, in Atwerp, BE.

"Ominous is a sculpture of incarnated sound... The performance embodies,
before the audience, the metaphor of an invisible and unknown object
enclosed in my hands. This is made of malleable sonic matter. Similarly to
a mime, I model the object in the empty space by means of whole-body
gestures. The natural sound of my muscles and its virtual counterpart blend
together into an unstable sonic object... The listeners see through sound
the sculpture which their sight cannot perceive."

Tags: multidimensional gesture, machine learning, muscle sounds, visceral
embodiment.

Read more at:
http://marcodonnarumma.com/works/ominous/

Also on stage tomorrow John Eckhardt, one of the most fascinating
performers of the contemporary music scene.

fingers crossed!
best wishes,

[1] http://res.marcodonnarumma.com/projects/xth-sense
[2] http://goo.gl/a7B6g
--
Marco Donnarumma
New Media + Sonic Arts Practitioner, Performer, Teacher, Director.