[spectre] DISNOVATION - FESTIVAL - Nov. 13-16

Nicolas Maigret peripheriques at free.fr
Thu Oct 30 17:58:48 CET 2014

PRESS RELEASE:

DISNOVATION - 14TH ACCES)S( FESTIVAL
====================================

A critical exploration of the mechanisms and rhetoric of innovation
NOVEMBER 13th TO 16th 2014 - IN PAU (FRANCE)
Curators: Nicolas Maigret & Bertrand Grimault

• full program (PDF)    http://disnovation.net/doc/DISNOVATION-DP-EN.pdf
• exhibition views      http://goo.gl/MNrHF8
• project website       http://disnovation.net/
• accès)s( festival     http://festival.acces-s.org
• research blog         http://disnovation.tumblr.com
+ streaming during the festival    http://goo.gl/jltxu5

Starting with the hypothesis of a possible "propaganda of innovation" as
one of the ideological driving forces of our time, the 2014 edition of
the Accès(s) Festival aims to explore the notions of global
digitalization, technological fetishism, obsolescence, artificial
intelligence - as well as their potential diversions and appropriations
- from a critical angle, via artistic and theoretical propositions. This
edition will take the form of both an exhibition and an event consisting
of concerts, performances, lectures, screenings and workshops.

WITH ARTWORKS BY
================

Julian Oliver, Jodi.org, Harun Farocki, Evan Roth, Jon Satrom,
Christian von Borries, RYBN, Julien Prévieux, Valentina Vuksic,
Manuel Knapp, The Center for Genomic Gastronomy, Aram Bartholl,
The Terminator Studies, DarDex, Giorgia Lupi, Set Up Shop,
Clemence de la Tour du Pin, Sloan Leblanc, Norbert Möslang,
Nicolas Maigret, Mr Moo, Diy Drone Shadows after James Bridle,
Lincoln 3D Scans after Oliver Laric...

AND TALKS BY
============

Matteo Pasquinelli, Alessandro Ludovico, Eric Sadin, Pascal Chabot,
Francis Jauréguiberry, Julian Oliver, Melle Smets, RYBN, Emmanuel
Ferrand, Benjamin Gaulon aka Recyclism, Jon Satrom, Valentina Vuksic,
Manuel Knapp...
• All the talks will be available in streaming:
http://gaite-lyrique.net/festival/la-gaite-lyrique-sexporte-a-pau

EDITORIAL  -  DISNOVATION (THE PROPAGANDA OF INNOVATION)

Over the past few decades, industrialized societies have experienced an
unprecedented technological boom. The advent of information and
communication technologies, irrigating whole domains of our existence,
has deeply transformed our relationship with the surrounding world. This
global phenomenon has contributed to put technosciences at the core of
our belief systems and the consumption / innovation duality as the
driving force behind our economy.

The notion of innovation is the ultimate contemporary rhetorical tool,
spreading from the technoscientific field into the sectors of politics,
management, eduction and art.

Thus we arrive at the hypothesis of a possible « propaganda of
innovation », as an ideology aiming to solve any need, problem, or
desire through the production of constantly changing artifacts and
concepts, justifying technological obsolescence in the name of
short-term economic vitality.

This simple hypothesis raises many questions:
•   Is the continuous rush towards novelty and the negation of preceding
values a human necessity, an intuitive tendency, an end in itself?
•   Is innovation the expression of a particular ideal whose purposes
are dictated by mere economic and industrial choices?
•   How do artists become tacit agents in the spreading and
popularization of innovations?
•   What kind of critical, subversive, poetic or alternative practices
does this situation generate in return?
-
Nicolas Maigret, Bertrand Grimault [2012-2014]
http://disnovation.net/

PARTNERS
========

CNC DICREAM, Gamerz, Neural, We make money not art, Parsons Paris,
Bel Ordinaire, Région Aquitaine, Forum culturel autrichien, Onda,
Ville de Billère, Espaces Pluriels, Ecole supérieure d'art - Pau, Ampli,
Gaîté Lyrique.