[spectre] Trust Me, I'm an Artist

Annick2 abureaud at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 16:23:56 CET 2015

Dear Spectrites,

This year 2015 starts with a new exciting project for
Leonardo/Olats as we are a partner in the european project
Trust Me, I'm an Artist (2015 -2016) exploring ethical
issues in art that engage with biotechnology and medicine.

http://olats.org/trustme/trustme.php

You will find below the description of the project

Annick

"Trust Me, I'm an Artist: Developing Ethical Frameworks for
Artists, Cultural Institutions and Audiences Engaged in the
Challenges of Creating and Experiencing New Art Forms in
Biotechnology and Biomedicine in Europe" (yes, the title is
a bit long ...)

is a collaboration between Waag Society, Brighton and Sussex
Medical School, The Arts Catalyst, Ciant, Kapelica Gallery,
Medical Museion, Capsula and Leonardo/Olats.

The lead artist on the project is Anna Dumitriu, the lead
ethicist is Professor Bobbie Farsides, the lead organization
being De Waag.

The aim of “Trust Me, I’m an Artist” is to investigate how
artists and cultural institutions can best engage with
biotechnology and biomedicine in order to drive innovation
in artistic production, ways of presenting artworks, and
developing new audiences in Europe.

The main goal is to provide artists, cultural institutions
and audiences with the skills to understand the ethical
issues that arise in the creation and exhibition of artworks
made in collaboration with biotechnology and biomedicine.

Additionally the project will provide science and technology
collaborators with new ethical frameworks for successfully
working with cultural and creative players. By giving
confidence to stakeholders it will open up opportunities for
artists and creative organisations to work in new
partnerships across Europe and internationally.

Lead artist Anna Dumitriu said:
“Artists tend to work at the forefront of innovation and
push boundaries, whilst engaging in ethical and
philosophical challenges that resonate through society
around new technologies, and this project has the potential
to situate them at the forefront of the latest research. Our
high impact outputs will prompt new ways of thinking about
how art, biotechnology and biomedicine can intersect, and
bring together diverse stakeholders and audiences to create
new ways of working at the cutting edge of art, science and
technology.”

Trust me, I’m an Artist will involve a series of practical
and discussion-based participatory workshop activities; a
major series of performative events (before a live
audiences) where a specially selected artist will propose an
ethically complex artwork to a specially formed ethics
committee (following the rules and procedures typical for
the host country), the ethics committee will then debate the
proposal and come to a decision, the artist will then be
informed of the ethics committee’s decision and, alongside
the audience, they can enter into a discussion about the result.

The learning from the project will be shared through a major
symposium; a touring exhibition; a series of publications; a
website; and an exciting distributable format designed to
give other cultural institutions, artists groups, community
groups, students and individuals the opportunity to
stimulate dialogue by creating their own DIY Trust Me, I’m
an Artist events, leaving a strong legacy for what we learn.

This new project builds on the strong foundations laid by
the previous "Trust Me, I'm an Artist: Towards an Ethics of
Art and Science Collaboration" project. The book of that
project is available here
http://www.amazon.com/Trust-Artist-Dumitriu-Bobbie-Farsides/dp/1320097383/ref=sr_1_1_title_0_main?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1408814598&sr=1-1

The Trust Me, I'm an Artist project is supported by funding
from the Creative Europe Programme of the European Union.

The UT Dallas ATEC ArtSciLab supports and participates in
the Trust Me, I'm an Artist project through the Leonardo
Initiatives projects in Experimental Publishing including
the Creative Disturbance platform
(www.creativedisturbance.org) channel on art and biology
(http://creativedisturbance.org/channel/meta-life)
associated to Audiolats and the Meta-Life project website
(http://synthbioart.texashats.org).