[spectre] Fwd: CfP: Share Festival 2019 "Ghosts"

Andreas Broeckmann ab at mikro.in-berlin.de
Tue Dec 25 21:23:08 CET 2018

[Share Festival, taking place in Turin from 2 - 5 May 2019]

Betreff: <nettime> Share Festival 2019 "Ghosts"
Datum: Sun, 23 Dec 2018 15:58:03 +0100
Von: Bruce Sterling <bruces at well.com>

Meanwhile, in Turin, an excellent city for the event’s chosen theme:

https://www.toshareproject.it/en/share-prize-ghosts/

Share Festival, the Italian exhibition of contemporary tech art and
science, with the Artistic Direction of Bruce Sterling announces the
opening of the call.

The theme of the Share Prize XII edition is:

GHOSTS

Are we the living ghosts of dead ancestors, of the otherness of the
past, its invisible shadows? Or is the past the ghost of ourselves,
present, alive and visible?
Do we speak to our ghosts, consciously, every day, through art, mind and
the material world, or do the ghosts act, fiercely driving us to the
unavoidable but creative path of continuity?

Science has its paranormal aspects, when the invisible powers that shape
our world become visible to us: bacteria, the DNA within our cells,
electricity… Our computation and our neural networks aspire to the
telepathic and the telekinetic…

Art and science join hands to expand our senses and illuminate the
unseen and the unknown. Electronic art is at the core of that
relationship: so technical and yet so ethereal, untouchable, invisible,
virtual… Pushing the borders of unearthly, the sensible and the
nonsensible, nothingness or epiphany…

Ghosts have been always popular, and the dead for outnumber than the
living. Literature and movies teem with ghosts, and in classic cinema,
the actors, screenwriters and directors who parade across our screens
are all long-dead. A cultural tradition means that the dead are still
living. Those we once loved never leave us; they expand within us as we
grow. The gifts we receive from the dead are the world’s only genuine
gifts. The dead are, by definition, those who give to us without reward.
Their gifts to us are valuable tools for understanding and healing.

In Share Festival’s history we have had many artists, friends,
precursors , spiritual ancestors, who left their ghostly traces and
voices, whom we want to evoke and cherish with this call.

Ghosts can be angels or demons, Hamlet’s vengeful ghost or secretive
ghost writers. They can be male or female or transgender. They can be a
political heritage we must never forget, or personal demons we must keep
at a distance. Ghosts can be famous or anonymous, seers or spies.

Turin is well-known as the esoteric capital of black and white magic,
and Share Festival thrives in Turin. This year we will unleash and
reveal our ghosts, mysterious, wild, unpredictable. The invisible will
become visible, the phantoms will be realized. This year at Share
Festival we invite the planet’s ghosts to a seat of honor at our seance
table.

OPEN REGISTRATIONS UNTIL 3 FEBRUARY 2019 – 12:00 p.m

APPLY NOW