[spectre] Shu Lea Cheang to represent Taiwan Pavilion at 2019 Venice Biennale

Andreas Broeckmann ab at mikro.in-berlin.de
Fri Jul 13 09:57:23 CEST 2018

news from a dedicated spectrite... (congratulations!)

		e-flux
<https://interspire.e-flux.com/link.php?M=133213&N=23088&L=24450&F=H>
Share on Facebook
<https://interspire.e-flux.com/link.php?M=133213&N=23088&L=159441&F=H>
Share on Twitter
<https://interspire.e-flux.com/link.php?M=133213&N=23088&L=159440&F=H>

	July 12, 2018
Taipei Fine Arts Museum

<https://interspire.e-flux.com/link.php?M=133213&N=23088&L=21762&F=H>

Shu Lea Cheang,/ BRANDON, /1998–99. Collection of the Solomon R.
Guggenheim Museum in New York. Courtesy of the artist.

*Artist Shu Lea Cheang to Represent Taiwan Pavilion at 2019 Venice
Biennale *
May 11–November 24, 2019

*Taiwan Pavilion at the Venice Biennale*
Venice
Italy

www.tfam.museum
<https://interspire.e-flux.com/link.php?M=133213&N=23088&L=21762&F=H>

The 2019 Taiwan Pavilion at the 58th Venice Biennale, organized by
Taipei Fine Arts Museum, will feature Shu Lea Cheang as representative
artist. She is the first woman artist to be selected since the Taiwan
Pavilion began holding single-artist exhibitions. The 2019 Taiwan
Pavilion nominating committee was composed of a variety of professionals
including independent curators, performing arts planners, artists, and
art critics, affording broader room for debate and inspiration.

Taipei Fine Arts Museum director Ping Lin remarks: “The Venice Biennale
Taiwan Pavilion is an international platform. Once every two years, we
gather the Taiwanese contemporary art world together to imagine what
this platform can be. In recent years Taiwanese artists and art
institutions have elevated their participation in the global art
community, generating a more refined and complex network of connections.
For this reason, the nominating committee employed a greater level of
strategic thinking, coloring their artist recommendations with stronger
overtones of global strategy. Shu Lea Cheang, a pioneer of net art, not
only in Taiwan but around the world, emerged as the first choice.”

Cheang remarks: “Since my net art work /BRANDON/ (1998-1999), a
trajectory charged with detours and deviations has teleported me to
Palazzo delle Prigioni, Venice, where crimes and punishment are
revisited in a 16th century prison setting. My growing up in Taiwan was
much associated with a tightly controlled society under Taiwan's martial
law (1949-1987). My return to Taiwan after decades of living abroad has
exposed me to a liberated, intricate and generous new generation with
whom I have only now begun to become acquainted. To be representing
Taiwan in its current complex state is a tremendous task, and I am
grateful to be accompanied on this venture by the visionary curator Paul
B. Preciado and the dedicated VB team at the Taipei Fine Arts Museum.”

*Contemporary Net Art pioneer*
Shu Lea Cheang (1954-) grew up in Taiwan and established her own
distinctive perspective of art while living in the West, quickly carving
out a terrain of her own in the internet world. Considering herself a
“digital nomad,” her artistic footprints span Asia, Europe and North
America. Her work encompasses such forms as net art installation,
feature-length films, and art actions, in which she explores and
rethinks the middle ground between technology and humanity in the era of
globalization, repeatedly engaging in dialectic on social and political
issues such as gender and body politics, ethnic and cultural diversity,
history, and the environment.

The works of Shu Lea Cheang have always revolved around the nature of
electronic/digital technology, emphasizing collective participation and
intervention. In the 1980s Cheang was active in the production of
independent videos and grass-roots television programs, as well as
documenting the street demonstrations taking place at the time in New
York. She also began working in video art, launching her career as an
artist. In the 1990s she began to explore net art, creating
installations combining computer programs and video interaction that
connected virtual networks with real spaces. She also started a series
of creative, performance and action projects. Her work /BRANDON/
(1998-1999) was the first web art commissioned and collected by the
Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum in New York. Since 2000 she has anchored
her works in the scenario of a post-netcrash age, developing a science
fiction narrative as a countervailing force amidst the chorus of
optimism about the future of the internet. Cheang’s work initiates an
alternative imagining of the internet beyond its essential function as
digital communication technology, transforming it into an artistic
medium of collective creation, and inviting viewers to enter its milieu
to discuss contemporary social issues. By creating collective
experiences that cross cultures and bridge the virtual and real worlds
to promote the redistribution of ideas with the aim of achieving genuine
social action, she manifests the concept of contemporary art as a form
that spans physical boundaries in the digital age.

*International curation*
To strengthen the international connections of the Taiwan Pavilion and
open up multiple dialogues with the global art community, Taipei Fine
Arts Museum and Shu Lea Cheang jointly agreed to invite the Spanish
philosopher Paul B. Preciado (1970-) to serve as curator of the Taiwan
Pavilion, in light of his apprehension of the creative context and the
tacit understanding he has formed with the artist through long-term
cooperation. Preciado earned a Ph.D. in Philosophy and Theory of
Architecture from Princeton University and studied under Jacques Derrida
in New York City. Preciado is today one of the leading thinkers in the
fields of gender, sexuality, and body studies, following the steps of
Michel Foucault and Judith Butler. He has taught at Université Paris
VIII-Saint Denis and at New York University, served as Head of Research
at the Museum of Contemporary Art of Barcelona, and was Curator of
Public Programs for documenta 14 in 2017. With his solid reputation as
academic scholar and curator, Preciado’s visionary projects dovetail
with the Shu Lea Cheang’s creative background, lending the upcoming
Taiwan Pavilion an interpretive approach able to penetrate the tension
of the artworks.

Regarding the curation of the Taiwan Pavilion, Preciado states: “We are
living through a moment of planetary transformation with the advent of
artificial intelligence, sophisticated warfare technologies, genetic
engineering, and global internet. This is a paradigm shift only
comparable to the one that took place with the invention of the printing
press and global colonization. The political and poetic potentiality of
this moment is as big as the risks of building new forms of oppression
and exclusion. We need new grammars and new images in order to forge a
new subjectivity, to invent new ways of feeling and desiring. I see Shu
Lea Cheang’s work as one of the most powerful creative and experimental
tools to navigate this transition. Bringing together many underground
traditions, from transfeminism, queer and anti-racist politics, as well
as science fiction narrative, video art, and performance, Shu Lea
Cheang’s work is a reflection on what it means to be free, to act freely
within contemporary society. The historic halls of the Palazzo delle
Prigioni Venice, the former prison of the Palazzo Ducale, are an
exquisite site to think about the conditions of contemporary subjection,
about the constructed limits between normalcy and deviancy, as well as
to imagine new emancipatory practices.”

Further information on Shu Lea Cheang can be found at:
mauvaiscontact.info
<https://interspire.e-flux.com/link.php?M=133213&N=23088&L=159442&F=H>

e-flux
311 East Broadway