[spectre] New podcast: Conversation with artist, filmmaker, writer, teacher, and researcher María Ruido

Radio Web MACBA rwm2008 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 6 08:20:22 CEST 2019

*New podcast: Conversation with artist, filmmaker, writer, teacher, and
researcher María Ruido
<https://rwm.macba.cat/en/sonia/maria-ruido/capsula>(only available in
Spanish)*

María Ruido talks about the political power of images and the subversive
potential of cinematic strategies such as off-screen, voice over, and
editing, which help us understand and imagine the world in new ways. She
also reflects on the always contradictory relations between the critical
and experimental power of culture on one hand, and its institutionalisation
on the other.

Link:  https://rwm.macba.cat/en/sonia/maria-ruido/capsula

María Ruido is an artist, filmmaker, writer, teacher, and researcher. Her
film essays are the result of intense processes of documentation and
personal introspection, because every single one of them draws on
experiences from her own life. The personal is always political in Ruido's
work, which reflects on the role of the family and motherhood in neoliberal
societies, on the relationship between production and reproduction, on the
construction of personal and collective memory, and on the need to conquer
strongholds of visual sovereignty, as well as exploring representations and
new modes of work. To this end, she uses a kind of conceptual palimpsest in
which archival materials, appropriationism, and collage coexist with
documentary, video art, and performance.

In this podcast, María Ruido talks about the political power of images and
the subversive potential of cinematic strategies such as off-screen, voice
over, and editing, which help us understand and imagine the world in new
ways. She also reflects on the always contradictory relations between the
critical and experimental power of culture on one hand, and its
institutionalisation on the other. And she sheds light on the creative
processes behind works like "Mater amatisíma", "Tiempo real", and "Plan
Rosebud", as well as the more recent "Estado de malestar", which analyses
the social symptomatology and psychological suffering that stems from
capitalist realism.

*Timeline*
*00:00* Critical genealogies
*03:51* INTRO (Revisiting "La voz humana", 1997)
*05:42* "Mater Amatísima", (2017). Unless we change the traditional family
model, we won't be able to change the social model
*08:59* Art: where counter-media representation is decided. Engagement with
our times.
*13:58* The impact of our work. The museum as a temple.
*16:28* Mum, I want to be an artist. A matter of class.
*20:10* Forsake experimenting with language in order to be understood?
"Plan Rosebud" (2006-2008)
*24:04* Learning to critically deconstruct images
*27:21* Political tools of cinematic language. "Tiempo real" (2003) and
"Mater Amatísima" (2017)
*31:51* The personal is always political. I am always in my work.
*34:32* "Estado de malestar" (2019). Emotional collapse
*40:47* "Estado de malestar". Work makes us sick
*47:00* "Estado de malestar". The pathologisation of life. Mental health
*57:26* Finding common ground for resistance and opposition

*ENJOY!!!!!*