[spectre] Experimental Publishing III – Critique, Intervention, And Speculation. October 21 - Coventry University

Gary Hall mail at garyhall.info
Mon Oct 7 10:08:40 CEST 2019

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	Experimental Publishing III – Critique, Intervention, And
Speculation. October 21 - Coventry University
Date: 	Fri, 4 Oct 2019 15:00:32 +0000
From: 	Janneke Adema <ademaj at UNI.COVENTRY.AC.UK>
To: 	RADICALOPENACCESS at JISCMAIL.AC.UK

*Experimental Publishing III – Critique, Intervention, And Speculation*

A half-day symposium with talks by Cristina Garriga (My Bookcase) and
Aymeric Mansoux (Piet Zwart Institute)

2:30-5:30pm October 21
Centre for Postdigital Cultures
The DigiLab
William Morris Building
Coventry University

*Registration (free):
*https://coventry.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/experimental-publishing-iii

This is the third in a series of symposia hosted by the Centre for
Postdigital Cultures (CPC) exploring contemporary approaches to
experimental publishing. Over the course of the series, we will ask
questions about the role and nature of experimentation in publishing,
about ways in which experimental publishing has been formulated and
performed in the past, and ways in which it shapes our publishing
imaginaries at present. This series aims to conceptualise and map what
experimental publishing is or can be and to explore what lies behind our
aims and motivations to experiment /through /publishing. As such, it
forms the first activity within the CPC’s new Post-Publishing programme
<https://post-publishing.org/>, an initiative committed to exploring
iterative and processual forms of publishing and their role in
reconceptualising publishing as an integral part of the research and
writing process, i.e. as that which inherently shapes it.
https://www.post-publishing.org
<https://www.post-publishing.org/2019/10/03/experimental-publishing-iii-critique-intervention-and-speculation/>

*Speakers*

*Cristina Garriga*

Cristina Garriga is a designer based in Amsterdam. Since 2014 she works
as My Bookcase, a creative studio exploring the role of the book and its
reader in today’s society through digital projects, workshops, events,
commissions and exhibitions. In 2018, My Bookcase launched the online
directory of independent publishers ‘Readers & Publishers’ – a response
to the need among artists and writers to know how publishers work and
how to reach each other. Garriga is also a founding member of
Publication Studio Glasgow and has led many courses and workshops in a
wide variety of art organisations and institutions. She holds a Mlitt in
Fine Art from The Glasgow School of Art, a BA and Masters in
Architecture from ETSAB Barcelona and an Expert Class in Type Design by
the Plantin Instituut voor Typografie in Antwerp.

www.mybookcase.org
<https://eur01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mybookcase.org%2F&data=02%7C01%7Cademaj%40uni.coventry.ac.uk%7C77022cad13cf4e5e029308d747207b1e%7C4b18ab9a37654abeac7c0e0d398afd4f%7C0%7C0%7C637056077141463610&sdata=FkWWiMB%2BjVU2dZewyJRFj62tm4tW986ZSPiAv374NUI%3D&reserved=0>

www.readersandpublishers.org
<https://eur01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.readersandpublishers.org%2F&data=02%7C01%7Cademaj%40uni.coventry.ac.uk%7C77022cad13cf4e5e029308d747207b1e%7C4b18ab9a37654abeac7c0e0d398afd4f%7C0%7C0%7C637056077141473597&sdata=Go4hNJtlDRAfaGgtXPVyNEsnraUqiVxZx%2BxG%2BNgCeP8%3D&reserved=0>

*Aymeric Mansoux*

*Aymeric Mansoux* has been messing around with computers and networks
for far too long. Recent projects include What Remains, an 8-bit video
game about the manipulation of public opinion and whistleblowing for the
1985 Nintendo Entertainment System, and LURK, a server infrastructure
for discussions around cultural freedom, experimental, new media art,
net and computational culture. Aymeric received his doctorate from the
Centre for Cultural Studies, Goldsmiths, University of London (2017),
for his investigation of the decay of cultural diversity and the
techno-legal forms of social organisation within free and open source
based cultural practices. He currently runs the Experimental Publishing
(XPUB) master course at the Piet Zwart Institute, Willem de Kooning
Academy, Rotterdam.

*Concept*

Experimental publishing can be positioned as an intervention, a mode of
critique, and a tool of speculation. It is a way of thinking about
writing and publishing today that has at its centre a commitment to
questioning and breaking down distinctions between practice and theory,
criticality and creativity, and between the scholarly and the artistic.

In this series of events we propose to explore contemporary approaches
to experimental publishing as:

  * /an ongoing critique/ of our current publishing systems and
    practices, deconstructing existing hegemonies and questioning the
    fixtures in publishing to which we have grown accustomed—from the
    book as a stable object to single authorship and copyright.
  * /an affirmative practice/ which offers means to re-perform our
    existing writerly, research, and publishing institutions and
    practices /through/ publishing experiments.
  * /a speculative practice/ that makes possible an exploration of
    different futures for writing and research, and the emergence of
    new, potentially more inclusive forms, genres, and spaces of
    publishing, open to ambivalence and failure.

This take on experimentation can be understood as a heterogeneous,
unpredictable, and uncontained /process/, one that leaves the critical
potentiality of the book as a medium open to new intellectual,
political, and economic contingencies.--

Gary Hall
Professor of Media
Director of the Centre for Postdigital Cultures, Faculty of Arts & Humanities, Coventry University:
http://www.coventry.ac.uk/research/areas-of-research/postdigital-cultures
Director of Open Humanities Press: http://www.openhumanitiespress.org
Website http://www.garyhall.info