[spectre] (re)programming: Energy - Holly Jean Buck in conversation with Marta Peirano

marcela at aksioma.org marcela at aksioma.org
Sun Apr 18 17:35:58 CEST 2021

Dear Spectres,

on Monday at 7pm CET we’ll be streaming the third conversation of the (re)programming series.

Join us and share your comments and questions trough the live chat!

(re)programming

Strategies for Self-Renewal
Curated and conducted by Marta Peirano
February–November 2021

STREAM #3

(re)programming: Energy

Can We Repair the Climate?

With Holly Jean Buck

19 April 2021 at 7pm CET

Join us here > https://aksioma.org/reprogramming

FB event <https://www.facebook.com/events/195969465373444>

Holly Jean Buck knows we have the tech to restore the earth and repair the climate. In After Geoengineering <https://www.versobooks.com/books/3091-after-geoengineering>  she takes a deep dive into the envisioning, development, and deployment of tactics and schemes for deliberately intervening in the environment, including Solar Radiation Management (SRM) and Carbon Dioxide Removal (CDR), with a useful best and worst-case scenarios perspective. Most importantly, she takes a holistic, integrated appreciation of ecological systems, proposing the new social formations needed to implement them, tackle mitigation and manage schemes that acknowledge the differential vulnerability for rural, impoverished and indigenous populations.

Holly Jean Buck is an assistant professor in the Department of Environment and Sustainability at State University of New York at Buffalo. She is interested in how communities can be involved in the design of emerging environmental technologies. She works at the interface of environmental sociology, international development, and science and technology studies. Her diverse research interests include agroecology and carbon farming, new energy technologies, artificial intelligence, and the restoration of California’s Salton Sea. Her book After Geoengineering: Climate Tragedy, Repair, and Restoration examines best-case scenarios for carbon removal. Most recently, she was the co-editor of  <https://www.researchgate.net/publication/344811010_Has_It_Come_to_This_The_Promises_and_Perils_of_Geoengineering_on_the_Brink> Has It Come to This? The Promises and Perils of Geoengineering on the Brink, a Rutgers University Press volume where thinkers, scholars and activists ranging from sociology and geography to ethics and Indigenous studies examine the chances for democratic climate governance.

👉 https://www.geo.design

About the series

We have found ourselves at the crossroads of an existential decision: do we bring the mistakes of the enlightenment to their biological conclusion or do we develop a magical capacity to self-renew?
In the tenth edition of Tactics & Practice, the seminar and conference program led by Aksioma – Institute for Contemporary Art Ljubljana, we are going to invite world-class thinkers in crucial disciplines to discuss the ways in which we can repair our thought and behavioural patterns in order to keep us collectively safe. The series of eight interviews is curated and conducted by Marta Peirano, a writer and journalist specialized in researching the relationships between technology and power, who will seek answers to the question of what it will take for humanity to wake up and take action before it's too late. Thematic discussions, ranging from infrastructure and energy to community and artificial intelligence, will be held in English once a month. MORE <https://aksioma.org/reprogramming/about/>

Organised and produced by: Aksioma – Institute for Contemporary Art, Ljubljana
In partnership with: Kino Šiška – Centre for Urban Culture
For the series: Tactics  <https://aksioma.org/tactics.practice> & Practice
In the framework of: konS – Platform for Contemporary Investigative Art
Financial support: the Republic of Slovenia and the European Regional Development Fund of the European Union

Outreach partners: Disruption Network Lab, Drugo more, FILE Festival, Furtherfield, La Gaîté Lyrique, Impakt Festival, The Influencers, Institute of Network Cultures, Interface Cultures/Kunstuniversität Linz, MKC Maribor, Neural,  ∏Node, Sophia, Supermarkt, We Make Money Not Art

Follow Aksioma:

Telegram > https://t.me/aksiomaorg

Facebook  >  <https://www.facebook.com/aksioma.org> https://www.facebook.com/aksioma.org

Instagram >  <https://www.instagram.com/aksiomaorg/> https://www.instagram.com/aksiomaorg/