[spectre] Fwd: CfP: Southeastern Europe is dead? Long live Southeastern Europe! (13-15 Oct 2021)

Andreas Broeckmann ab at mikro.in-berlin.de
Fri May 21 16:11:59 CEST 2021

Betreff: 	CfP: Südosteuropa ist tot? Lang lebe Südosteuropa!
Positionierungen in einem interdisziplinären Forschungsfeld, X. Dr.
Fritz-Exner-Kolloquium zur Südosteuropaforschung, 13.-15. Oktober 2021,
Frankfurt/Oder
Datum: 	Fri, 21 May 2021 15:34:27 +0200
Von: 	Elisa Satjukow <elisa.satjukow at uni-leipzig.de>

X. Dr. Fritz Exner Colloquium on Southeast European Studies

Southeastern Europe is dead? Long live Southeastern Europe!
Positionalities in an Interdisciplinary Research Area

Date: October 13-15, 2021

Venue: European University Viadrina in Frankfurt (Oder), Germany

It has been more than 20 years since the publication of Maria Todorova's
book Imagining the Balkans (1997, 2009) has stirred up Southeast
European Studies. The ensuing debate about 'the Balkans' as a category
of analysis and/or mental map (Sundhaussen, 1999, 2003; Todorova, 2002,
Troebst, 2003, 2010) had far-reaching impact on the German-speaking
academic community. As a consequence, the traditional perception of
space and self-conception within the discipline have been questioned
(see, for example, Kaser 2002, Rutar 2014, Calic 2016, Buchenau &
Brunnbauer 2018, Troebst 2018, Clewing/Schmitt/Brunnbauer 2019,
Brunnbauer/Lampe 2021, and others). While comparative and global
research approaches are nowadays largely established (with reference to
Eastern Europe as well as South-Eastern Europe among others most
recently Mishkova/Trencsényi 2017, Middell 2019, Calic 2019, Todorova
2019), many questions regarding the existence and positioning of a
genuine Southeastern European studies in the German-speaking academia
have remained unanswered. This includes, in particular, the discussion
of post-colonial debates (for Eastern and Southeastern Europe, see e.g.
Chary/Verdery 2009, Ruthner/Scheer 2018, Baker 2018, Bjelić 2018,
Manolova/Kušić/Lottholz 2019, Tlostanova 2020, Parvulescu/Boatcã 2021)
and a difficult history of political instrumentalization that has still
only been rudimentarily dealt with (most recently Höpken 2020).

This year’s Dr.-Fritz-Exner-Colloquium on Southeast European Studies
aims to start a discussion on self-positioning, knowledge production and
knowledge transfer within our ‘small discipline’. We are by no means
declaring Southeast European Studies as dead, but we do think it is time
to reflect again and together on authorship, methods, points of
reference and contents of German Area Studies on Southeastern Europe
within a scholarly landscape in transition.

For many years, the colloquium has provided a platform for
interdisciplinary exchange among early career academics. We would like
to take the 10th edition of the Dr.-Fritz-Exner-Colloquium as an
opportunity to continue this tradition and, based on our own research
projects, to initiate a theoretical and methodological discussion about
the future of Southeast European Studies in the German-speaking academic
field.

The following questions guide our interest:
• How and why do scholars study Southeastern Europe today?
• What practical research challenges arise in the study of Southeastern
Europe? What are the commonalities and differences between various
disciplines (e.g. sociology, history, linguistics, literature and
cultural studies, anthropology, political science and others)? How do
Southeast European Studies position themselves within Eastern European
Studies in particular and within Area Studies in general?
• What requirements must a contemporary curriculum of Southeast European
Studies meet?
• What research ethics arise for German / German-speaking / scholars
based in German-speaking institutions for research on Southeastern Europe?
• How and in which languages do we write about Southeastern Europe?
• How do we ensure that the production of knowledge about Southeastern
Europe is also exchanged with scholars from Southeastern Europe and that
research results produced in German-speaking institutions are available
and accessible in the region?
• How can we meet the challenge of making the field more inclusive and
diverse?
• How do we communicate knowledge about Southeastern Europe to the
(non-academic) public?

The colloquium is primarily aimed at advanced students, doctoral
candidates, and post-doctoral fellows from various disciplines who are
engaged in research and lecturing on Southeastern Europe. The
contributions of the colloquium will subsequently be published as a
special issue of a journal. Since our workshop will focus on research on
Southeastern Europe in Germany, Austria and Switzerland, the language of
the event will be predominantly German. At least a passive knowledge of
German is therefore desirable, but papers may also be submitted in
English. If language barriers prevent participation, please do not
hesitate to contact us and we try to make translation available.
Due to the Corona situation, the number of participants is limited to a
maximum of 12 people in Frankfurt/Oder. Additional digital presentations
for a broader audience are planned. For those participating in the
workshop, accommodation and travel grants will be covered by the
organizers. Childcare can also be provided if needed.

We kindly ask you to send us an abstract (300 words) and a short
biography by June 21, 2021 via the online form: Apply here:

https://www.sogde.org/de/formulare/x-dr-fritz-exner-kolloquium/

We will ask all colloquium participants to submit a 10-page paper by
mid-September.

Contact
Prof. Dr. Claudia Weber Contemporary European History, European
University Viadrina, cweber at europa-uni.de
Dr. Elisa Satjukow, East and Southeast European History, Leipzig
University, elisa.satjukow at uni-leipzig.de
Dr. Jacqueline Nießer, Graduate School for East and Southeast European
Studies, University of Regensburg, jacqueline1.niesser at ur.de

Südosteuropa-Gesellschaft e.V.
Widenmayerstr. 49 80538 München Tel. +49 89 2121 540 Fax +49 89 2121
5499 E-Mail: info at sogde.org www.sodge.org