[spectre] Fwd: Urgent Statement of Solidarity for Iran >>> زن زندگی آزادی (woman, life, liberty)

Andreas Broeckmann andreas.broeckmann at leuphana.de
Mon Dec 5 12:46:40 CET 2022

Betreff: 	Urgent Statement of Solidarity for Iran >>> زن زندگی آزادی
(woman, life, liberty)
Datum: 	Sun, 4 Dec 2022 19:24:46 +0100

Dear friends and colleagues,
I hope this email finds you well.

You may be aware of the dire situation in Iran, as the brutal crackdown
of people who are simply demanding their very basic human rights is
getting worse by the hour.
Now, a group of artists, writers, and cultural practitioners have
written a statement to galvanize support and create a unanimous voice
condemning state violence against Iranian people and demanding an
immediate end to all threats, detentions, and killings.
We hope you will add your voice and sign the statement. Also, please
share this urgent plea with all of your colleagues and friends, as
nothing like a united international front can force politicians to act
instantly.

Best regards,

https://solidarityiran.wordpress.com/

Urgent Statement of Solidarity for Iran

International Action Is Urgently Needed to Stop Further State Violence
Against the Iranian People

November 2022

Led by women, Iranians from all walks of life have demonstrated
determination in standing against state brutality in the past sixty days
since the killing of 22-year-old woman, Zhina Mahsa Amini, at the hands
of the Islamic state in Iran. What began as a protest against mandatory
hejab and decades of systemic human rights violations has now turned
into the “Woman, Life, Liberty” movement, demanding the end of the
theocratic rule by an unelected clerical system in Iran.

We, artists, writers, academics, and cultural practitioners from across
disciplines and various countries, support the call of our Iranian
colleagues to stand in solidarity with their struggle against the
repressive and despotic Islamic state in Iran. We, the undersigned,
unreservedly acknowledge and support the courage of all the women, men,
and children of Iran in their fight for fundamental human rights and
their clearly expressed desire to renew the nation’s social contract.

We air our grave concern not only for our colleagues and students in the
arts and cultural spheres who have stated their demands in several
actions and open letters, including a recent statement signed by nearly
6000 Iranian artists and scholars, but for citizens from all over the
country who face an increasingly brutal, violent, and deadly state
crackdown, with kidnappings, disappearances, imprisonments, and multiple
forms of physical, psychological, and sexual abuse, torture, and open
threats of mass executions.

We recognise that the recent terror is not an isolated event. Over the
last 44 years, the Islamic state’s machinery has resorted to all manner
of social and cultural injustice, including the oppression of ethnic,
religious, and sexual minorities, as well as legally sanctioned
misogyny, homophobia, and xenophobia. Since its inception, the
theocratic system of law in Iran, controlled by the Supreme Leader and
backed by the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps and its network of
oligarchs, has conducted the extermination of those who stand against
it. Those acts must be recognised as crimes against humanity; their
perpetrators must face the international courts of law.

Calling the International Community of Artists, Writers and Academics to
Action

In unison and to support our Iranian colleagues; we, artists, writers,
academics, and cultural practitioners from across the world, pledge to
do our utmost to:

– boycott governmental institutions of the Islamic state of Iran and
their covert affiliates, and prevent them from having any presence in
international arenas of arts, culture, and education;

– stand against the regime apologists who misappropriate
anti-imperialist discourses in the west or other parts of the world to
deflect attention away from the well-documented state violence committed
against the people;

– support our counterparts and collaborators who stand against the
atrocities and abuses of human rights in Iran, using our intellectual
and cultural leverage and capabilities;

– create networks of support for dissidents and those who are being
targeted, face intimidation, or risk harm at the hands of the regime;

– raise awareness concerning the crimes against humanity committed by
the Islamic regime in Iran.

In solidarity,

... to sign: https://solidarityiran.wordpress.com/