[spectre] Timo Kahlen: (in)tangible at Ruine der Künste Berlin. Preview June 4, 2023 from 15:00 - 18:00

Timo Kahlen mail at timo-kahlen.de
Mon May 22 11:12:46 CEST 2023

This is your invitation to the preview of

Timo Kahlen: (in)tangible
June 4 - July 9, 2023
at the Ruine der Künste Berlin
Hittorfstr. 5, 14195 Berlin-Dahlem
U3 Freie Universität

Opening
on Sunday, June 4, 2023 from 3-6 p.m.

Exhibition open
on Sunday, June 11, 2023 from 3-6 p.m.
on Sunday, July 2, 2023 from 3-6 p.m.
on Sunday, July 9, 2023 from 15-18 o'clock
and by appointment: mail at timo-kahlen.de

The current exhibition at the Ruine der Künste Berlin, Timo Kahlen: (in)tangible, shows sensual works - with conceptual undertones.

Our perception of the (in)tangible world seems to be out of joint today. The sound installation Kopfüber (upside down, 2023) uses the height of the space of the Ruine der Künste Berlin as a complex resonating body. Our hearing is directed upwards, above and below mirror and interpenetrate each other in the monumental and simultaneously chaotic and fragile acoustic-sculptural work.

The structurally condensed chaos is also the basic principle of the fifteen small cable nests from the continued Networks series. Closely Connected (Lose verbunden, 2022) reflects the increasing retreat into the home office as well as into the private sphere: the closeness experienced only indirectly from a distance, the purely medially linked and virtually mediated access, wired into the private sphere, to an increasingly complex, confusing, an intangible world.

The vibrating, walkable sound pedestal (Pedestal, 2011), on the other hand, can be directly felt and physically experienced by visitors in the exhibition: as a gently ‚unsettling’ dance on the volcano.

The photographic series Holding My Breath (created in March 2020, at the very beginning of the Covid pandemic) as well as Die Zartheit des Raumes (Tenderness of Space, 2020) and Raumhülle (2021) once again reflect the (in)tangible: the invisible movements of the air - enveloping every one of us. The three series are presented as original photobooks.

The ephemeral, and (in)tangible quality of our experiences in life becomes the central theme of the exhibition - as explored in the name-giving photographic series (in)tangible (2022) and in the series of five small smoke sculptures, Up in Smoke (2022), which address central, ubiquitous contemporary media images of dissolution, of explosive disruption, and of chaos - yet, reducing them to an intimate scale - while attempting to freeze the fleeting, ephemeral incidents and topics of our times.

You are cordially invited to the opening on Sunday, June 4, 2023 from 3 - 6 pm. The artist will be present. The exhibition can subsequently be experienced on three more Sundays (see above) or by appointment. The exhibition is accompanied by the graphic edition Isolation (Piece of Turf), 2022. The artist will be present.