[spectre] Report: 'Collecting, Curating, Preserving and Researching Media Arts'

oliver.grau at mediaarthistories.org oliver.grau at mediaarthistories.org
Sat Feb 10 08:31:39 CET 2024

I was working in a previous Australian Research Council (ARC) project, where
we had a linkage grant Australia-Archive for Digital Art. Here is the report
from the recent *Archiving Australian Media Arts (AAMA)* project
'Collecting, Curating, Preserving and Researching Media Arts: A good
practice report'.

Posted on behalf of  Melanie Swalwell mswalwell at swin.edu.au
<mailto:mswalwell at swin.edu.au>

I wanted to share a publication from late last year from the team I lead
that may be of interest to some of you.

The Archiving Australian Media Arts (AAMA) project have published
'Collecting, Curating, Preserving and Researching Media Arts: A good
practice report'. In this report, we detail what we did to address the
challenges posed by preserving and providing access to born-digital cultural
artefacts, how we went about the work of locating media artworks from the
1990s, recovering content from obsolete media carriers, and testing
Emulation-as-a-Service (EaaS). We consider the potential of emulation for
curation, exhibition, and research with examples from case studies. The
result of research funded by the Australian Research Council and undertaken
in partnership with AARNet, Swinburne University, RMIT University, ACMI, Art
Gallery of New South Wales, Griffith University Art Museum, State Library of
South Australia, ANAT and Experimenta, this 'good practice report' offers
insights for academics, practitioners and industry leaders, whist also
foreshadowing the benefits of the shared digital infrastructure we are
currently building across Australia that will ensure sustainable access to
cultural collections.

Access the report  <http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/476262>
http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/476262

Stay updated on further research and new projects. Subscribe to the AAMA
mailing list:  <http://eepurl.com/iCispE> http://eepurl.com/iCispE or head
to  <http://www.aama.net.au> www.aama.net.au

Regards,

Melanie

--

Melanie Swalwell

Professor of Digital Media Heritage

Co-Chair,  <http://www.sigcis.org/> SIGCIS

Acting Deputy Director

Centre for Transformative Media Technologies

School of Social Sciences, Media, Film and Education

Swinburne University

PO Box 218, Hawthorn Vic 3122 Australia

 <http://transformativemedia.swinburne.edu.au/>
http://transformativemedia.swinburne.edu.au/

Tel +61 3 9214 3911

AS426

 <mailto:mswalwell at swin.edu.au> mswalwell at swin.edu.au

@melswal

Research project websites:

 <https://ourdigitalheritage.org/> https://ourdigitalheritage.org/

 <https://playitagainproject.com/> https://playitagainproject.com/

 <https://aama.net.au/> https://aama.net.au/

 <https://auseaasi.org/> https://auseaasi.org/

Recent publications:

<https://aama.net.au/wp-content/uploads/2023/12/Collecting-curating-preservi
ng-and-researching-media-arts.pdf> Collecting, Curating, Preserving, and
Researching Digital Media Arts: A good practice report

<https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/homebrew-gaming-and-beginnings-vernacular-di
gitality> Homebrew Gaming and the Beginnings of Vernacular Digitality

 <https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-3-030-66422-0> Game History and
the Local