[spectre] [CAS] Report: 'Collecting, Curating, Preserving and Researching Media Arts'

Paul Brown paul at paul-brown.com
Wed Feb 14 01:49:27 CET 2024

Posted on behalf of  Melanie Swalwell mswalwell at swin.edu.au <mailto:mswalwell at swin.edu.au>

Dear CAS,

I wanted to share a publication from late last year from the team I lead that may be of interest to some of you.

The Archiving Australian Media Arts (AAMA) project have published 'Collecting, Curating, Preserving and Researching Media Arts: A good practice report'. In this report, we detail what we did to address the challenges posed by preserving and providing access to born-digital cultural artefacts, how we went about the work of locating media artworks from the 1990s, recovering content from obsolete media carriers, and testing Emulation-as-a-Service (EaaS). We consider the potential of emulation for curation, exhibition, and research with examples from case studies. The result of research funded by the Australian Research Council and undertaken in partnership with AARNet, Swinburne University, RMIT University, ACMI, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Griffith University Art Museum, State Library of South Australia, ANAT and Experimenta, this 'good practice report' offers insights for academics, practitioners and industry leaders, whist also foreshadowing the benefits of the shared digital infrastructure we are currently building across Australia that will ensure sustainable access to cultural collections.

Access the report http://hdl.handle.net/1959.3/476262

Regards,

Melanie

--
Melanie Swalwell
Professor of Digital Media Heritage

Acting Deputy Director
Centre for Transformative Media Technologies
School of Social Sciences, Media, Film and Education
Swinburne University
PO Box 218, Hawthorn Vic 3122 Australia
http://transformativemedia.swinburne.edu.au/

Tel +61 3 9214 3911
AS426
mswalwell at swin.edu.au <mailto:mswalwell at swin.edu.au>
@melswal

Research project websites:
https://ourdigitalheritage.org/
https://playitagainproject.com/
https://aama.net.au/
https://auseaasi.org/

Recent publications:
Collecting, Curating, Preserving, and Researching Digital Media Arts: A good practice report <https://aama.net.au/wp-content/uploads/2023/12/Collecting-curating-preserving-and-researching-media-arts.pdf>
Homebrew Gaming and the Beginnings of Vernacular Digitality <https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/homebrew-gaming-and-beginnings-vernacular-digitality>
Game History and the Local <https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-3-030-66422-0>