[spectre] INVITATION: reading group on critical AI & LLMs and SAVE THE DATE mur.at worklab 19.-23. June 2024

Margarethe Maierhofer-Lischka margarethe at mur.at
Sat May 25 11:47:51 CEST 2024

dear community,

this is an invitation from mur.at - open source art server & net art
platform - to some of our current activities. remote participation may
be possible on request, please get back to us if you wish to do so!

best,

maggie (for mur.at)

~~~~~~~

*mur.at worklab SAVE THE DATE*

we will be hosting our traditional worklab again this June. GIA will
present their work, plus we have some more exciting talks and workshop.

save the date: mur.at worklab 19.-23. June 2024 @ KiG, Volkshaus Graz
more infos & detailed program will follow shortly.

*mur.at presents AiR at mur*

currently the slovenian collective GIA is doing an artist residency at
mur.at. they are artists, coders and media theorists and activists and
run the noncommercial server project kompot.si in Ljubljana. during
their residency GIA hosts an open reading group focused on the topics of
critical "AI" & LLMs (large language models), and they will also present
& discuss their work at our annual worklab. the reading group happens
every wednesday 16-18h Vienna time at the mur.at headquarter,
Leitnergasse 7, Graz. remote participation is possible on prior request.
come and join us to discuss the future of chatbots!

more info and texts to read: https://mur.at/post/2024-gia-readinggroup/
detailed invitation here:

~~~~~~

The GIA collective is organising a reading group in May and June 2024.

     Dates: Wednesdays May 22, May 29, June 5
     Time: 16.00-18.00
     Location: mur-Projektraum, Leitnergasse 7, 8010 Graz
     The reading group will be held in English only.

LLMs represent a major advancement of the ‘computational turn’ in
mediality, but remain rather isolated as an object of investigation or
critique. This is partly due to marketing hype surrounding them (which
becomes the secondary object of critique) or their ambivalent corporate
origin, but also a lack of ambitious theoretical considerations.

In order to attempt a more wide ranging view we invite you to join GIA’s
activities the mur.at worklab and together we will consider questions like:

     How do LLMs remediate old dreams (and nightmares) of universal
languages, encyclopedists, archivists and all kinds of information
management projects to which LLMs are peculiarly related?

     How is the question of remediation related to abstraction and what
kind of vistas do LLMs open for us (new dreams and new nightmares)?

     In what sense can we understand LLMs as the first true AI cultural
interfaces? What does the future hold in an era of ubiquitous LLMs?

     What kinds of social and self-relations will be afforded by LLMs?

We will address these and similar questions in our activities. These
include Wednesday reading groups (22.5. 29.5. 5.6. // 16.00 - 18.00) in
the mur.at project room (Leitnergasse 7) and a traditional worklab in
June (19. -23. 6.) at KIG.

More information about the coming reading seminars:

     You can come to any seminar. There’s no need to attend all.
     The texts we will read will be announced here each week. If you
want to suggest a text, you can do so at the seminar or send us an email
at gia at kompot.si

For the first week we suggest to read:

     Operative ekphrasis: The collapse of the text/image distinction in
multimodal AI
     Buckland, M. The expansion of bibliography: Dog-stone, antelope,
and evidence

Secondary (not necessary) texts:

     Non-Human Words: On GPT-3 as a Philosophical Laboratory
     The Model is The Message

If you would like to join or if you have any questions, please contact
us at gia at kompot.si

See you around!

GIA team

--
“There are no passengers on spaceship earth. We are all crew.” ― Marshall McLuhan

Margarethe Maierhofer-Lischka
sound / music / arts / thoughts
https://suonoreale.mur.at