[rohrpost] xxxxx_workshop_32_xx Berlin: preview for noise_produce/materiality/[in]tolerance

m m at 1010.co.uk
Don Jan 3 13:29:12 CET 2008

A (more-or-less) weekly series of constructivist workshops
emphasising making and connection within the field of the existent.

Calendar:

January 5 2008: preview for noise_produce/materiality/[in]tolerance

January 12 2008: SNU Workshop: Special Noise Unit with jo FRGMNT grys [analogue electronic instrument]

January 19 2008: electronic_light_orchestra with Mikomikona [DIY video synth]

29 January - 2 February 2008: xxxxx-workshops: [in]tolerance for CTM

see: http://www.clubtransmediale.de/club-transmediale/xxxxx-workshops.html

... contact if you're interested in leading a related workshop.

//<-------------------------------------------------

January 5 2008 2PM: preview for noise_produce/ materiality/
[in]tolerance with Martin Howse, Martin Kuentz

Noise embeds both materiality and equation, equally embracing graphics
through circuit diagrams and a wider industrial economy. We hesitate
to call our interest electronics; an obsession rather with divination
masquerading as detection, with substance and with an interrogation of
the material. Noise acts as a revelation, precisely exposing the dark
side of over-engineered social acts, manufacture and consumption; all
embodied within the blackboxed bug chip.

Noise is elaborated on a path which leads from household materials,
such as tin foil, baking soda and coal, through to more esoteric
matter; large-scale experiments harking back to earlier times of
invention. We're at home with Maxwell and his demons, thermodynamic
exploration [propane], and with de Forest [the holy
triode].

The noise_produce workshop will present an active, audio driven
examination of noise and materiality, interfacing diverse boundary
materials in a crashed laboratory; petri dish electro-constructions as
contemporary noise performance modules.

Please RSVP m at 1010.co.uk if you wish to join

Materials cost: 10 euros

Note: It is not necessary for CTM reservees to attend this preview,
although all are, of course, welcome.

---_______

Background:

Workshops led by field-expert practitioners extend over realms of code
and embedded code, environmental code, noise, transmission and
reception, and electromysticism. Workshops solely utilise free
software and GNU toolbase.

Practitioners have included Martin Kuentz (prd at scrying.org), Julian Oliver
(http://selectparks.net/), Derek Holzer (http://soundtransit.nl), Jeff
Mann (http://jeffmann.com), Martin Howse (http://1010.co.uk), Fredrik
Olofsson (http://www.fredrikolofsson.com/), Florian Cramer
(http://cramer.plaintext.cc:70/), Brendan Howell

xxxxx, pickledfeet, Linienstrasse 54, Berlin 10119

U2, Rosa-Luxemburg-Pl.
U8, Rosenthaler Pl.

Telephone: 3050187482.

http://1010.co.uk/workshop.html