[rohrpost] Opening, Today, 09.07. from 4-7 PM @ ACI | "He Told Me to Remain Silent" | Dave Ball & Jörg Piringer

Melanie Zagrean - ACI melanie at art-claims-impulse.com
Do Jul 9 09:26:49 CEST 2020

Art Exhibition Opening Today curated by Art Claims Impulse

He Told Me to Remain Silent
Opening today: Thu 09.07.2020 | 4:00-7:00 PM
Exhibition: 10 – 30.07.2020 | Tue - Sat 12:00 - 06:00 PM

Location: Projektraum 3 @ feldfünf
 Fromet-und-Moses-Mendelssohn-Platz 7-8
10969 Berlin

In our last exhibition before the summer break we show art works by Dave
Ball and Jörg Piringer. Both artists deal with the visualization of
language. Jörg Piringer calls himself a "digital poet". He programs his
computer to generate sound poems, to write independently and creatively.
We have had him in our program since he won the ZKM App Art Award 2012.
His exploration of language and poetry has now led him to be nominated
for this year's Ingeborg Bachmann Prize.

Dave Ball, shortlisted for the Berlin Art Prize in 2016, has taken on an
unimaginable performance project: he visualizes a myriad of words of the
Concise English Oxford Dictionary according to rules he has established.
We followed his path since he first joined the art residency program at
Art Claims Impulse in 2008. In this exhibition, we show individual
sequences of A, B, C and D.

Our curation shows two different positions (Jörg Piriniger: digital
works, Dave Ball: drawings, illustrations and photos), thus creating a
dialogue on the subject of language visualisation.

"He Told Me to Remain Silent" is our response to Wittgenstein's last
sentence in his treaty "Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be
silent", which we question with the artworks by Dave Ball and Jörg
Piringer, who both offer an open and individual interpretation of
language.

partikel by Jör Piringer is a reflection on the attempts to establish
pervasive voice control for devices and means of transport on a large
scale. In contrast to so-called personal assistants such as Alexa or
Siri, however, partikel is not concerned with subordinating one's own
speech to the utilitarian computer system and its exploitation models
and at the same time adapting one's own language to the machine, but
rather with expanding the sound and speech possibilities of the voice
and exploring new forms of expression. It is an interactive dynamic
text-sound installation in which the audience control the visual and
acoustic events through their voices. Everything reacts to each other:
the sound influences the image and the image the sound. The audience can
control the complex behaviour of the sounding letters with pitch, sound
quality and volume of their voice and experiment with them with relish.

A to Z by Dave Ball is an umbrella work comprising a series of
successive semi-independent projects defined by a particular letter of
the alphabet; each introduces some new conceptual parameter or media
restriction, whilst adhering to the basic parameters of the overall
work. The work originally developed out of an interest in utilising
randomness as a generative tool, inspired in part by a well-known
technique for encouraging lateral thinking, which is to pick a word at
random in the dictionary and apply that to whatever subject-matter is
being investigated – thus breaking out of the constraints of
conventionally linear, logical thought. A to Z deliberately pushes the
rationale behind this technique to an absurd level, where there is
nothing left except the non-linear thought; divorced of any context, the
efficacy of the operation is called into question. What remains is a
farcically large collection of sequential images, whose meaningfulness
is undermined by the excessive faith in semiotic cogency that drives the
project’s relentless marrying of words and images.

Looking forward to welcoming you!!

Pierre Wolter & Melanie Zagrean
Art Claims Impulse

--