[spectre] re: take over

Jeremy Welsh jeremy.welsh@khib.no
Sun, 23 Sep 2001 10:59:09 +0200

--------------B291C06D04004B8CD25743F3

Interesting to read Lorenzo's comments.  In these days of uncertainty
and looming repression, the term Take Over has an unfortunate ring to
it. Maybe it's best to drop that one right away.

But the penetration of or integration into existing
institutions/languages of digital practices, theories and discussdions
is certainly a "hot" issue.  To take my own institution as an example:
the programme of theory our students are being offered is very much
framed by an early nineties mindset and as far as I can see it takes no
account of the growth of digital culture during the past decade. It is
still a more or less academic account of the evolution of modernism
towards post modernism.  I'm interested in disrupting that particular
stream by inserting discussions about what is happening now - hopefully
with a modicum of historical reflection to avoid being caught up in an
obsession with novelty.

> the processes of integrations between the "separated area" of techno
art and Contemporary art are they
> not changing the situation?

One would hope that something is changing. Technological art is of
course becoming more common within existing contemporary art
institutions, but it is depressingly still very often the case that it
is (technically) badly presented and quite often it is, innocently or
deliberately, misinterpreted by curators who want to incorporate new
practices into the ongoing discourse of an officially sanctioned art
history. Careers still need to be built and promoted. Canons still need
to be formulated.  But we can hope that the networks of collaboration
and communication that have evolved in recent years will have their
impact in changing ( or at least modifying ) the
socio-economic-political structures that continue to dominate the art
world.

> I have several things to say about this but i would like to know first
what other people think.

I'd like to hear more......

Jeremy Welsh

--------------B291C06D04004B8CD25743F3