[spectre] m-cult-news: ISEA2004, read_me 2.3, prixmoebius

m-cult informer@m-cult.org
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 11:44:17 +0100

m-cult -news 01/03

>  isea2004 - call for proposals opens january 22
>  read_me software art festival to helsinki in 2003
>  nordic-international platforms for media culture: prix m=F6bius
nordica and m-cult.net on january 25

m-cult, centre for new media culture in Finland works actively in
researching, networking and producing media culture. During Spring
2003, several projects, realized in collaboration with Finnish and
international partners, will be initiated and premiered.

>ISEA2004 call for proposals opens january 22

New media meets art, science, research and popular culture in  the
ISEA2004-symposium, to be organised in August 14-22, 2004 in three
Baltic cities - Stockholm, Tallinn and Helsinki. ISEA2004 is a
critical and creative event, whose themes include "networked
experience" (Stockholm), "wearable experience" (Tallinn) and
"wireless experience" (Helsinki). The common theme to all cities is
"Histories of the new".

The 1st Call for Proposals - for larger projects and conference
subthemes - is open on January 22, 2003.

http://www.isea2004.net

>read_me 2.3. software art festival to helsinki in 2003

Read_me is the first international festival dedicated to software
art. Organized for the first time in Moscow, 2002, the festival is
now brought to Helsinki by its curators Alexei Shulgin and Olga
Goriunova.  The event is a co-operation between NIFCA, The Nordic
Institute for Contemporary Art, Media centre Lume and m-cult, centre
for new media culture.

Software art is a leading edge phenomenon of new media culture - a
field of art whose material is algorithmic code or which addresses
cultural and social aspects of software. Software art differs from
the pragmatic concerns of traditional software production - it is not
about software tools but conceptual or aesthetic, deconstructive,
activist or 'folk' interpretations of software.

Read_me 2.3. is a festival with an open structure: the database of
proposed projects will be availabe for the public in the software art
repository runme.org. After the online phase, the festival will
culminate in an event at Media Centre Lume on May 30-31. The event
will include presentations and contextualisations of the projects, as
well as a celebration of the works singled out by the festival's
collective of experts.

http://m-cult.org/read_me/
http://runme.org

>platforms for nordic and international media culture: prix m=F6bius
>nordica and m-cult.net

The Nordic competition for interactive media productions Prix M=F6bius
Nordica is jointly organised by Medeia, Media centre Lume and m-cult
on January 25. The winners of the Nordic competition will participate
in Prix M=F6bius International in Athens 2003.

http://www.prixmobiusnordica.org

During Prix M=F6bius, m-cult will present the english version of
m-cult.net, online server for new media culture. The service includes
a database of media culture actors, newsblog and list filters, as
well as a reminder of festivals, conferences, competitions and
funding opportunities related to new media culture and technology.

The service also includes a database of Nordic actors, compiled in a
research project in collaboration with CRAC (SE), pnek (NO),
CultureNet Denmark (DK) and Lorna (IS). Preliminary results from the
research project will be presented at the M=F6bius event, while the
research report - Nordic Media Culture: actors and practices - will
be published later this Spring by the Nordic council of ministers.

http://www.m-cult.net

m-cult centre for new media culture
po box 110  00131 helsinki  finland
http://www.m-cult.org