[spectre] TRACING UNDERCURRENTS: Sonic Routes Between

richard de boer richard at v2.nl
Tue Oct 11 15:00:04 CEST 2005

Simon Biggs wrote:

>Nat, Jayce, Andreas,
>
>How to deal with Israel is an issue for all artists. It is a heavily loaded
>cultural issue. I have been invited to show there a few times and always
>refused. I do not recognise the right of Israel to exist. To me it is simply
>an illegal occupation of a region by a group of uninvited people.

Dear Simon,

I understand your points of view and don't want to ridicule the
complexity of your considerations, but I just want to contribute to the
discussion with a single question: have you ever visited the United
States? What you are writing implicates that the USA has no right to
exist as well.

I think your principles make a visit to considerable parts of the world
impossible.

Besides, the occupation/dispossesion theme is very much part of the
works by many participating artists in the Tracing Undercurrents
program. For instance these projects:
Intifada Offspring - http://www.intifada-offspring.org/html/info.html
Yannun Yannun - http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=16247

Cheers,